Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Did you buy that as a coral or did it come as live rock? Doesn't look ever so alive but could be the photo. Porites is a fair guess for sure.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Did you buy that as a coral or did it come as live rock? Doesn't look ever so alive but could be the photo. Porites is a fair guess for sure.
Live rock. It's covering about 70% of the piece.

I got my box of live rock direct from cairns marine.

image.jpg

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Ok, so I( and the tank) survived the engagement party. I only had to explain that the tank had no fish in it, and that it would remain that way for another month, at least 15 times.

I've turned the skimmer off and will add more rock today after I visit Bunarong. Hopefully that will be all the rock i need, and then the cycle can do it's thing, fully.

Salinity currently sitting at 1.030. But I'll be able to bring that down in time.

Should I be doing water changes while it cycles? Or should I wait until it really is more than halfway through?

Cosby

May 14, 2013
how much did the live rock direct from cairns marine cost?
When I say direct, I mean Brett got it in for me, and I got the box from him unopened. Sorry, I should've made that a bit clearer.

$200 for a box. But this one I got for free, as it was part of the package I'd sorted out with Brett.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Ok, so I( and the tank) survived the engagement party. I only had to explain that the tank had no fish in it, and that it would remain that way for another month, at least 15 times.

I've turned the skimmer off and will add more rock today after I visit Bunarong. Hopefully that will be all the rock i need, and then the cycle can do it's thing, fully.

Salinity currently sitting at 1.030. But I'll be able to bring that down in time.

Should I be doing water changes while it cycles? Or should I wait until it really is more than halfway through?
if you do water changes with natuaral sea water during the bad smell phase it will speed things up a little

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
if you do water changes with natuaral sea water during the bad smell phase it will speed things up a little
Slow things down you mean? Doing a water change during the cycle will dilute the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate (whichever stage it is at), so the fastest way is to leave it water-change free. That said, if you have a big ammonia spike (ie the stench appears), then a water change will be the best way to give your hitchhikers a chance of survival through the cycle. But it will lengthen it a bit too - also know as a 'soft cycle'.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Slow things down you mean? Doing a water change during the cycle will dilute the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate (whichever stage it is at), so the fastest way is to leave it water-change free. That said, if you have a big ammonia spike (ie the stench appears), then a water change will be the best way to give your hitchhikers a chance of survival through the cycle. But it will lengthen it a bit too - also know as a 'soft cycle'.
In my experience when your toxic levels are high you have to wait longer for the larger quantity of bacteria to form. If you dilute the levels you don't have to wait as long as not as much bacteria has to develop. It results in a softer cycle but if you add things slowly after the cycle (as everyone should) it works out to be fine.
I could be wrong maybe @dr_schell can confirm.
This is what bunarong has advised me anyway. My cycle took 5 weeks this way but i did think that was pretty slow lol

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
In my experience when your toxic levels are high you have to wait longer for the larger quantity of bacteria to form. If you dilute the levels you don't have to wait as long as not as much bacteria has to develop. It results in a softer cycle but if you add things slowly after the cycle (as everyone should) it works out to be fine.
I could be wrong maybe @dr_schell can confirm.
If you do waterchanges mid-way though a cycle, you are likely to increase the duration of the cycle.
The cycle stage is all about BACTERIAL numbers and availible food. By doing a water change, you will decrease the amount of food availible for the bacteria and therefore, increase the duration of the cycle.

However, I do see merit in OSCAR85's poi9nt in that NWS WILL contain bacteria that may be useful in a cycle. If ONLY artifical seawater is used, then the addition of seawater WILL speed up the cycle as it will intriduce bacteria

Cosby

May 14, 2013
So I've added another 10kg's today, and that may be just about it for live rock. Maybe one or two smaller pieces will be added.

The scape looks more like I'd envisaged now, so I might invest in some form of glue to keep it together.

IMG_4990.JPG

Cosby

May 14, 2013
@dr_schell I hope you can give me a little insight into my new hitchhikers.

I put this guy in the sump.
image.jpg

This little guy I added to the tank.
image.jpg

As I also did with this little bloke. There's also a larger version on one if the rocks I added.
image.jpg

I also two small crabs. One of which has black tipped claws, which you've warned me about. This guy however does not.
image.jpg

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
looks pretty good as it is. as a scaping rule of thumb, the bigger structures tend to be the closest to the back of the tank. gives it more depth of field. also one structure tends to be higher than the other, which i think you've done well. if you push the right hand bommie further back and the left hand side to say the middle, you could possibly have a smaller third bommie closer to the right hand side and only coming up just under less than half way than the bommie to the right :)
thats just my opinion though. ultimately go with what you're happy with :)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
@dr_schell I hope you can give me a little insight into my new hitchhikers.

I put this guy in the sump.
View attachment 15879

This little guy I added to the tank.
View attachment 15880

As I also did with this little bloke. There's also a larger version on one if the rocks I added.
View attachment 15881

I also two small crabs. One of which has black tipped claws, which you've warned me about. This guy however does not.
View attachment 15882
Animals are:
Convex reef crab (Carpilius convexus)
Gold ringed cowrie (Monetaria annulus)
Red mouthed banded whelk (Engina zonalis)
Hoof clawed reef crab (Cyclodius ungulatus).

Best to remove the whelk. All others are benificial