Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
there are 2 pumps, one is hidden behind the rock work connected to a SCWD which alternates 4000L/H between the pipes at either end of the tank. The second pump is the Tunze Wavebox (a single pump that pulses). The pulsing uses the thanks resonance to form a wave, much like if you move your hand slightly in a tub of water at the correct time, you will get a wave. The wave box does not cause mass water flow, just water oscillation. The pump behind the rocks is responsible for mass water flow.

vman

Go you Mighty Roosters !!!!
Oct 8, 2011
sydney 2036
well there is something i never new about,i like the explanation of the bath tub illustration.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
same here dno how i missed this...looks like a really happy tank :)

i need to pick your brain with this bangaii breeding...my male seemed to be be holding eggs and stopped eating but the last couple days his mouth doesnt look full bu still not eating, this has happened in the past, definitely holding eggs when hes plump but dno the next step to take

shall i inbox you?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yes

same here dno how i missed this...looks like a really happy tank :)

i need to pick your brain with this bangaii tbreeding...my male seemed to be be holding eggs and stopped eating but the last couple days his mouth doesnt look full bu still not eating, this has happened in the past, definitely holding eggs when hes plump but dno the next step to take

shall i inbox you?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Today, I purchased a relatively large pink birds-nest coral, so time for a few photo updates. I cut up the colony into 3 separate sections (I like the rule of 3 individuals of the same species in the tank (for corals)). As a bonus, the purchased coral came with 3 Acropora crabs (Trapezia sp.) and a single black Coral Goby.

All other corals growing fast, but unfortunately lost the small Dallas frag. Not sure what happened to it but it disappeared overnight, so I assume it was knocked down/ damages then cleaned up by the CUC.

Photos below (please excuse the poor quality photos, I only own a simple 'point and shoot' camera. Please note in the photo below, the anemone was purging itself, so it appears absent. However, it is still in good health. Use this photo to see the large 'crack' within the rock-work into which the anemone has anchored its foot and withdrawn into.

IMG_1792.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1794.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1796.JPG

Note the blue tang (aka camera tart) peering out from between the cracks in the photo above.
Should play 'where's dory?"

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Here a few more photos of some of the animals in the tank.

IMG_1797.JPG

Toxic Green Gonipora viewed from above

IMG_1798.JPG

Male (subadult) Blue Tang (my Wife's fish) - the terror of the tank, it the undisputed ruler!

IMG_1799.JPG

Female Bangai Cardinal

IMG_1800.JPG

My Lawnmower (aka Jewel Blenny). Very peaceful and approximately 15cm long

IMG_1801.JPG

View of the Blue tang, note the condition and form of this individual

IMG_1802.JPG

CUC member, yellow footed hermit crab earning his keep, great at eating filamentous algae

IMG_1803.JPG

Lawnmower Blenny resting near Zoos and purple Gonipora

IMG_1804.JPG

Pair of Bangai (male behind with a mouth full of eggs)

IMG_1805.JPG

Knuckle bone coral. Interesting coral that forms a symbiotic relationship with a worm which drags it all over the sand bed. Intersting conversation piece.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Thought that I would post a video of the tank. Just through some food into the tanks so the fish are in "feeding mode". As indicated before, the anemone is purging. I have taken a close-up to show the deep crevice within which it has anchored it food. It has not moved from this location since its introduction into the tank. I have also successfully paired my six-lined wrasses (large individual is the male, smaller fish is the female). These two fish show no aggression towards each other. They are also showing signs of courtship. Since loosing my breeding pair at the beginning of the year, I have been eager to re-establish a pair, and it is now done.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Thought that I would post a video of the tank. Just through some food into the tanks so the fish are in "feeding mode". As indicated before, the anemone is purging. I have taken a close-up to show the deep crevice within which it has anchored it food. It has not moved from this location since its introduction into the tank. I have also successfully paired my six-lined wrasses (large individual is the male, smaller fish is the female). These two fish show no aggression towards each other. They are also showing signs of courtship. Since loosing my breeding pair at the beginning of the year, I have been eager to re-establish a pair, and it is now done.

thats one bossy blue tang lol

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
are they clown spawn in the breeder box?

did you breed them or did you buy them bred?
They are Gold Banded Maroon Clownfish that I bred and I am retaining for future breeding purposes. I have posted a thread on this forum showing the rearing of these individuals.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
They are Gold Banded Maroon Clownfish that I bred and I am retaining for future breeding purposes. I have posted a thread on this forum showing the rearing of these individuals.

ahhh you're awesome lol wish i had as much knowledge and patience as you

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Just to show everyone that the anemone is indeed alive, here is a video taken of the tank post the anemones purging episode.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Would you mid providing a current stock list of the fish in this tank?
@Kirky, in answer to your question, currently, this tank contains the following fish:

2 x Bangai cardinalfish;
1 x Blue Tang;
1 x Yellow Tang;
2 x Six-lined Wrasse;
15 x Blue-green Chromis;
2 x Common Clownfish;
1 x Coral Beauty
1 x Lawnmower Blenny
1 x small black coral goby (accidentally introduced with coral)

The reason I can get away with such high densities of fish in this tank is:
1. There are large amounts of cracks and crevices in the live rock structures to allow fish to escape from each other and withdraw from sight if they feel threatened;
2. most of the fish (ie chromis) are highly social and thrive at high densities.

The system incorporates an oversized skimmer and a nitrate/phosphate reactor. Together, these pieces of equipment remove most of the waste organic compounds (as well as substances such as iodine which I have to dose) and leave the system with no detectable ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or phosphate, despite heavy feeding.

Also, I have a very efficient clean-up crew (CUC) which includes dense populations of Turbo snails (algae control) and Nassarius snails (clean-up of uneaten food). Three Strombs (clean the surface of the sand-bed) and a single Trochus snail (just so I can say I have a Trochus!!!!!!) are also present in this system.

Hope this answers your question :-),