Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Thats one big blenny.
Yes, but he (yes they can be sexed by the pelvic fins), is very gentle and a great addition to the tank. I have had him for many years and would like one day to pair him up. Just no 'girl' is good enough for him in my eyes!!!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I love your tank, down the bottom ends the y pieces is that the SCWD?
the main flow pump is hidden behind the rockwork, on the left hand side of the weir. The SCWD is attached directly to the flow-pump. 2 sets of pipes then emerge from the SCWD and go to either end of the tank. The Y pipes are the outlets at either side of the tank. Water flow alternates between each of these outlets

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Lookin good doc! Tanks really coming along.
yes, thanks, I have some relatively large euncid worms, but I have devised a way of removing them without tearing the tank apart by use of a baited trap and 2lb fishing line used as a 'noose'. Have removed 1, 2 more to go! Each is in excess of 60cm!

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Wow! At that length I can see why you want to get rid of them.
I found a couple when I purchased my live rock. Nothing since, but I've seen a couple of tiny worms lately that look different to the normal baby bristle worms I get, so I'm hoping it's not them.

Love your tank, looks great.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
OK, final score, Chirs (me) 3, Euncid worms 0!!!!!
I have successfully removed all 3 Euncids from my tank. To do this, I had to devise a trap. These worms are very fast and will retreat from the trap at the slightest disturbance. As they are very long, only the anterior end of the worm enters the trap and thus, to escape, the worm just contracts backwards and is therefore non-trappable. To over come this, I made a tiny 'noose' out of 1lb fishing line. I positioned this noose at the trap enderance in such a way to ensure that the worm HAD TO pass through the noose to get to the trap.
The fishing line was of sufficient length to leave the water and be held by myself. Once the worm entered the trap, I pulled on the fishing line, which tightened around the worm which was then instantly removed from the tank. For bait, I used 'green' prawn.

The details of the trap, which includes the orientation of the worm immediatly prior to trapping, is shown below

Worm trap 1.jpg

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I have successfully removed all 3 Euncids from my tank. To do this, I had to devise a trap. These worms are very fast and will retreat from the trap at the slightest disturbance. As they are very long, only the anterior end of the worm enters the trap and thus, to escape, the worm just contracts backwards and is therefore non-trappable. To over come this, I made a tiny 'noose' out of 1lb fishing line. I positioned this noose at the trap enderance in such a way to ensure that the worm HAD TO pass through the noose to get to the trap.
The fishing line was of sufficient length to leave the water and be held by myself. Once the worm entered the trap, I pulled on the fishing line, which tightened around the worm which was then instantly removed from the tank. For bait, I used 'green' prawn.

The details of the trap, which includes the orientation of the worm immediatly prior to trapping, is shown below

View attachment 16309
taken a mental note of this for the future great idea nice and cheap to!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I recently purchased some 'AcroPower' (Amino-Acid Formula for SPS corals) from @TheJordans (many thanks). This product has been produced by 'Two Little Fishies'.

I was sceptical at first that this supplement would be of any use, however I thought that it was worth exploring. Well, I must say that I am impressed by this product.

Within 2 days of commencement of dosing, the Acros, including my Dallas frag as well as my birdsnest corals have 'coloured-up' and have extended their feeding polyps more that I have previously seen (ie extended greater than when the tank is fed on Phyto-plankton, rotifers or BBS).

I think that I will be continuing use with this product in the future. I have included a short video below showing the polyp extension in one of the Acros following application of this product.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Oh, WOW! That's awesome!
I'm glad to hear that it's worked out so well!!
We just couldn't justify keeping them given that we only have two SPS and imperfect conditions, so I'm rapt to see that they've worked out so well for you! :D

Reef Secrets sell it, so at least they're a little closer for you ;)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Ok, whilst I now have a system of trapping large worms out of my tanks, I thought that I would put it to use and see what other polychetes I have in the tank. I have all the usual suspects like bristle worms, spoon worms, etc. However, of particular concern to me was one species that I observed (ie. Oenone fulgida). This animal is a real terror. While it does not cause the all out havoc of a euncid worm, O. fulgida is a stealth killing machine that actively seeks out molluscs, killing them with a toxic slime and then consumes them. These worms grow up to in excess of 20cm in length and are very slimy.

As my tank has large numbers of self sustaining Nassarius, Dove, Turbo and Stomatella snails, I have not noticed their presence. Fortunately I do not own any clams (which these worms target), but I do plan on getting one in the future. So best to get them out now. These worms are trapped in the same way as the euncids.

A photo of an O. fulgida that has been extracted from my tank is provided below.

worm extracted.jpg

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Hadn't heard of these ones - very useful information.
Did you take any photos of your eunicid worms?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham

View attachment 16309
Wow very impressed! None of the worms split when you noosed them?

Nice work catching the Oenone worm too.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
New fish added to this system, a pair of Talbots Damsels. A very peaceful species.
Video of individuals is provided below:

they were my favourite damsels i had them in my first ever tank although they were alone for 3 weeks before introducing my clowns and another damsel and they harassed everything, they look amazing