Tank Journal Archive

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney

So im planning on leaving this tank to finally settle and grow out now...no more re-scaping, no more changes (except for adding livestock)...The reason for this is because I haven't been seeing any decent growth on anything, and I think it is largely due to my inability to keep my hands out of the tank! So no more drastic changes!
Anyway, I took a few shots of the tank on my phone camera...captures the colours much better, but obviously not as clear or as crisp as the DSLR.
In the green corner:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_2011_10_08172546.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_2011_10_08172442.jpg

The acan side:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_2011_10_08172502.jpg

Zoas and morphs (there's three rhodacts there..the one with the green tips has coloured up nicely from a humble shade of brown, as have the other two..they're now purplish):
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_2011_10_08172417.jpg

Euphyllia garden (will slowly add more):
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_2011_10_08172511.jpg

Top down:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_2011_10_08172735.jpg

FTS:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_2011_10_08172403.jpg

So this is where your help is needed - If you look at the above pic you can see that I have a fairly empty spot in the top right of the tank. There is a small shelf, but I am not sure what I would like there. The flow is relatively high, as is lighting. I have thought about a dallas frag or some other easier type of SPS...but I still don't think my system is suited for SPS so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Please help!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Me to, I mixed a few torches in with my hammers have a look in my tj, I've never had issues with them stinging along as they arnt up against each other

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
DIY Surface Skimmer/Weir

So I found that I was always getting a bit of an oily film developing on the surface of the water - turned up the MP10 a little bit but still wasn't really doing much - so then I decided to DIY a simple surface skimmer modification to the tank. I scoured the net for different ideas for surface skimmer and came close to purchasing one of these, but decided against it because I was worried about it being too intrusive in the nano. Also, I really wanted to get something done quick and I wanted to DIY it.

Eventually I came up with a weir/surface skimmer box. I decided to make it using some clear perspex I had at home, but instead I found this clear plastic box that was open on one end - it was pretty much EXACTLY what I was going to make anyway, so I decided to use that. Basically cut some teeth on the top edge and cut another two notches so it could slide onto the underside lip of the Eheim HOB filter. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

The plastic box:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_2011_10_11215835.jpg

Where the teeth will be cut out (I used a scalpel with blade heated with a lighter to cut out the teeth):
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_2011_10_11220551.jpg

The box slides onto the underside of the HOB:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3394.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3391.jpg

It basically works by having water in the tank overflow into the box, and then being fed into the HOB filter from the shortened intake pipe.
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3393.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3390.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3392.jpg

Overall it has been quite effective, it was free to make, and not very obtrusive in the overall scheme of things.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Looking lovely

by the way-love the tip re cutting plastic/perspex with a heated scalpel blade-did it myself and it works-used the gas ring burner on the stove

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Vid isn't working for me, how do those over hang filters hold up in marine situations ? I used to have the same one on my fresh water tank and they were phenominal !!

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Looking lovely

by the way-love the tip re cutting plastic/perspex with a heated scalpel blade-did it myself and it works-used the gas ring burner on the stove
Thank you! Yeah if you heat the blade enough...its literally like a hot knife through butter!

Vid isn't working for me, how do those over hang filters hold up in marine situations ? I used to have the same one on my fresh water tank and they were phenominal !!
Hey Matt, the filter is going great...to be honest, it serves more purpose as a refugium than an actual filter...there isnt really anything in there except the LR rubble and macro...and a small bag of carbon.

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Anyway, managed to play around with about a thousand settings on the DSLR and FINALLY managed to get some pics that show the colours of the livestock quite accurately. I would dare say the colours are about 99% accurate! They have not been edited at all!

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3409.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3410.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3412.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3413.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3414.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3415.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3416.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3422.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3417.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3423.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3424.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3425.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3421.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3419.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_3426.jpg

Hope you enjoyed that!

Attachments

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
its definitely got some more room for some more hammers! its missing something on the right hand side!

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Definitely mate. I'm taking it slow and saving those spots only for pieces that really stand out...i'm in no rush to fill it at the moment...want to wait it out until I come across some nice pieces. I don't want anymore brown in this tank!

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Been a while since my last update...no pictures this time unfortunately!

I'm pleased to say that the tank has been going really well.

CORALS
I am seeing some steady growth with the zoas, with the orange and the mixed colony having fully encrusted the frag plug and starting to encrust onto the bottom glass which was what I was hoping to achieve.
Also, acans seem to be growing slowly, with a few new polyps having appeared. Similar story with the blastos.
But the quickest growing would no surprise be the green star polyps. They have encrusted onto the side glass...I have not decided whether I will trim it or not, or just let it take over the entire side panel...see how it goes!
Euphyllia garden has expanded since the last update with three new additions: two gold-tips and a toxic green. Still space for more though!
Rhodactus have coloured up very nicely, with more and more purple and green coming through. Could it be the Amino Acids??

FISH
Nothing much has changed here, except for the addition of a forktail blenny. Great little character, adds some life to the tank. His colours are very nice - not striking - but nice nonetheless.
The single clown and the green coral goby are still doing very well.

Although not technically fish, I have also added a couple of peppermint shrimps to help with the aiptasia. Unfortunately I may have gotten a couple of lazy ones - the few aiptasia I had are still there. Just the luck of the draw when it comes to peps i guess!

Anyway I'll stop babbling...I will try and do a picture update sometime soon!

Thanks for still following!

Nick

Dec 6, 2011
Sydney
Hey Holla, really enjoyed your journal and your DIY stuff, your tank looks great!
Your idea for a star grass wall would look amazing, you should do it, planted tank people make moss walls and they look tops.
Jealous of your acans and zoa collection (hint hint) we should swap frags!