Tank Journal Archive

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Hey Holla, really enjoyed your journal and your DIY stuff, your tank looks great!
Your idea for a star grass wall would look amazing, you should do it, planted tank people make moss walls and they look tops.
Jealous of your acans and zoa collection (hint hint) we should swap frags!
Thanks Nick! I think I will let the star polyps take over the side glass...it should look good! And once I get some more growth on the zoas I will be more than happy to trade frags mate!

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Okay so photo update time.
This first lot of photos are actually from a while back...I never got around to uploading them. They are pics of a bunch of frags that a fellow member had very generously sent to me (whom i still owe money to!! I need your details buddy!). There were a bunch of zoa frags, an acan frag, a toxic green tipped hammer, and some brown and green blastos. Here they are:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02148.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02155.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02153.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02154.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02156.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02158.jpg

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Okay so now for the latest pics. Please excuse the quality of these as they were taken on the crappy point and shoot.
Is this bryopsis or just normal GHA? Its very fine.
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02159.jpg

Gold tipped hammer (much more gold in real life):
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02164.jpg

And another (centre of pic):
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02165.jpg

Toxic green in the middle there:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02166.jpg

Euphyllia garden so far:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02179.jpg

Growth of the GSP:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02167.jpg

Up the side glass:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02169.jpg

Growth of the zoas (orange frilled yellow centre zoas in the middle of the pic have grown from the frag plug in previous post):
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02160.jpg

New forktail blenny:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02178.jpg

Finally, I found these pics of the current aquascape before corals were placed in:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02142.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02143.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics. Im currently working on trying to shorten the length of the pages in my journal...any suggestions? I'm currently splitting up my updates to create more posts...hopefully that will work!

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
I can see how annoying it is...i'm trying to break up my updates now so i get more posts so the pages won't be as loooooong! Will that work??
Nothing wrong with epics-just make sure you have chocolates to eat whilst you read them!
Ignore them all Holla- I like your epics:D

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
holla_passer said:
Hope you enjoy the pics. Im currently working on trying to shorten the length of the pages in my journal...any suggestions? I'm currently splitting up my updates to create more posts...hopefully that will work!
yeah i think try keep it 4-5 photos max per post, but apart from that looking awesome as always

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
JAN 2012 UPDATE...
Happy New Year everyone! Hope we all had a fantastic festive season.
So anyway, there have been a couple of changes to the tank. most notably:
  • Change of livestock - gave away the fork tail blenny to a mate, and swapped the lone occy for a misbar percula. I really wanted to keep the occy but was afraid they would fight. Green coral goby has disappeared :(
  • Added a couple of new corals - new torch, and a couple of new zoo frags
  • DIY'ed a cover for the tank - with a previous history of having a few jumpers from this tank, and also wanting to broaden my list of possible fish inhabitants, i finally decided to make a cover for the tank. There were a few conditions for this DIY: 1. Had to be cheap; 2. Had to be as unobtrusive as possible; and 3. Had to be easily removed or opened for feeding etc. Pics below.

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
New torch. Picked him up for dirt cheap from LFS - it was not in good condition, tips and stems were very white. It has shown some good signs in the tank - stems are becoming a nice fluoro green:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_5004.jpg

Mustard yellow zoas and eagle eyes from itzmatty:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_4995.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_4994.jpg

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
General pics showing steady growth.
Star polyps going gangbusters on the right wall there. Its a shame the green colony isn't spreading as quickly as the brown/green one:
December 2011:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02169.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02167.jpg

January 2012:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_5050.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_4997.jpg

Pink kenya tree.
December 2011 (pic was taken on camera phone hence the difference in colour):
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_2011_12_01213226.jpg

January 2012:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_5049.jpg

Zoa garden. Growth has slowed down a bit. Hopefully the yellows and the eagle eyes will take off and add some more colour:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_5011.jpg

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
DIY mesh cover.
Used 12mm aluminium to make the frame. I picked up the mesh from Bunnings. It's a product called Tree Tubes and is a plastic based mesh with approximately 5mm holes. I sprayed the mesh white and the aluminium black:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_5031.jpg

The cover can easily be opened up for access into the tank. I didn't use the aluminium for the back section of the frame. Instead, i used a length of irrigation riser tube. This way, i could make a simple sort of hinge so the cover can open and close stably.
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_5036.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_5034.jpg

Also decided to add something so that the cover would stay open without having to hold it open. So i attached a magnet to the top of the frame, and attached a small metal plate to the underside of the light canopy so the magnet can attach onto it:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_5033.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_5037.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC_5038.jpg

More info can be found on the DIY link below.

Anyway, that's all for now guys, hope you enjoyed the update.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Looking wicked mate. have you found you get less light penetration into the tank now with the cover?

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Looking wicked mate. have you found you get less light penetration into the tank now with the cover?
Thanks Matt. Yeah there has definitely been a decrease in light to the tank due to the mesh. But i actually think its because i sprayed the mesh white, a lot of the light gets reflected off and my room is much brighter now! However it isn't a huge decrease in light so i don't think corals will suffer at all, if anything, i can always turn up my LEDs!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hey mate , I think your tank is amazing.
As an alternative to the mesh screen, how about a "euro brace" say 70 mm wide made of Perspex. I always believed that the jumpers launch themselves from the corners of the tank and out. This frame can be made to just sit ontop of your glass.