Tank Journal Archive

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I've only started out with some test pieces of sps and the growth rates seem very variable with some going nuts and others barely changed. I love the poci !

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
It's lookin good josh!! Shame about your anthias though :(

If you look at nearly all the good sps tanks they seem to run t5s.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Yeah I know a few people who swapped from LED back to T5 and have never looked back. Running cost wouldnt be too much difference, I currently have nearly 80 LEDs over the tank and would go to a 6x54w T5 unit. The main costs would be bulb changes, but well worth it to achieve the tank I want considering the amount of cash I have sunk into it so far.

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Hey Josh, what T5 unit are you looking at? I've been talking to the guys around the corner about a 6x54 Sunpower unit instead of going LED but not sure.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I havent really looked into it too much but I think I would just scrounge around looking for a second hand ATI unit. I'm in no real rush. Any idea what they sell those units for?

Darren S

Aug 17, 2012
Adelaide
Off the top of my head, I think it was around it was around $600-650 maybe for the non-dimmable unit. Sunpower is made by ATI from what I understand.

Feb 12, 2013
Adelaide
sunpowers are made by ATI. They dont look as sexy as the ATI powermodules,but if its in a hood,who cares what the case looks like. Pretty sure they use the same reflectors, which is the key component, and the sunpowers might have less fans?

And tankslooking good Josh!:)

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
after the powder brown leaving a sour taste in my mouth I have decided to head in another direction with my fish selection. Should hopefully have a blue throat trigger turning up this week
aencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_images_3d7ab7c8191b60ea3c3ee8fa24fcddd2._.jpg

also will be keeping an eye out for a magnificent foxface when one pops up
aencrypted_tbn3_gstatic_com_images_097dcaae73b07d2bb1de7030056fa2fd._.jpg

both of these will require a tank upsize sooner rather then later. I havent told the gf this yet but within the next 6 months we will be building our new house next door to our current house so I made the executive decision that it's going to be easier to buy a new (larger) tank and set that up in the new house and move the contents accross. Then sell the current tank and stand. We'll see how that goes down. Now we just need to decide on a house design to see what I can squish in where.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
The trigger has been good as so far. Blue throats are meant to be the most reef safe of all triggers. i did a heap of reading up on them before I chose it, didn't read of any reports of them eating fish or corals only shrimp and snails and I don't keep any shrimp.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
No FTS at the moment I have a caulpera outbreak in my display which I'm not very happy about, struggling to beat it. phos reading 0.02, nitrates undetectable with salifert kit so I dont know what is going on.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
love the scape in this tank! the hedges and the height in the tank really suit the scape. reminds me of the highest parts of the reef :) well done. as @chimaera said, the scape will look even more froth-worth once those colourful sticks grow out :) if you can find one, a decent birds nest frag may go well in your tank. hardy and grows quite quick from reports. keep up the good work :D