Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Actually you might be glad of the space under there once you add your RO, dosing pumps, etc etc.

When are you getting this puppy wet?

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I would like it to say asap. But I don't want to rush anything, also running on a tight budget at the moment due to work being slow so cutting my hours back.

Still have a list of things that need doing though like sort out my water storage and purchase an rodi unit etc etc. I just want to make sure I have all bases covered.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
One of the local boys is shutting his sps tank down I have layed claim to all his live rock to fire this thing up. So I figured it's time to get cracking.

Created a bit of a wiring mess tonight, it's all going to be hidden away when done.

One bank running, I destroyed one of my plugs running to the other bank so that will have to wait till jaycar opens

saint

Jan 23, 2012
Agree! the tank is looking great and coming along nicely

I never really liked the black silicon joins i prefure the joins on the cades and ada tanks but this tank has changed my mind :)

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Cheers, I'm pretty happy with how it's all coming together.

Hoping to have it cycling by the end of the week

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Ok maybe by the end of the day, i was bored and my mate had a few hundred liters of water he wanted to get rid of. It's only full to just below the weir as I still need to do a bit of work on the sump and plumbing.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
just to add to my taking photos of almost every stage of this tank, this was the last bit I needed to do before filling. The return which is plumbed up through the weir and through the comb. just to make the whole thing a bit neater

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_20121104_143119.jpg

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_20121104_143018.jpg

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Looking good mate!! Very clean and tidy. The black silicone is nice and the external weir really make this tank! Is the lr your getting still going to be live? That'll shorten the cycle time a bit!!

As chimera said that space underneath running a smaller sump will come in handy especially if you intend on dosing and having an ato. I have the same footprint and can't fit anything underneath as I made the sump to big. I'm going to get a new sump when funds permit.

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Looking good mate!! Very clean and tidy. The black silicone is nice and the external weir really make this tank! Is the lr your getting still going to be live? That'll shorten the cycle time a bit!!

As chimera said that space underneath running a smaller sump will come in handy especially if you intend on dosing and having an ato. I have the same footprint and can't fit anything underneath as I made the sump to big. I'm going to get a new sump when funds permit.
I wouldn't make it too small either, my Sump doesn't have room for a refugium which I hope I dont come to regret, although I think I have found a way to modify the RSM stock sump.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Sure is still live, he is currently selling off all his stock then I have free rain of it. The tank had been running mainly sps for over a year so it shouldn't have any leaching issues. The timing of his shut down is pretty good for me, even though it is sad to see a nice tank gone

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Looking good, get that cycle start ASAP it seems to take forever, im only on day 5 :(
It sure does seem that way, I put a hammer in my nano a little too early and lost it a couple weeks later which sucked

Shouldn't have that problem with this tank though, as I literally have no spare cash to buy stock until my Christmas bonus at the end of the year

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
It sure does seem that way, I put a hammer in my nano a little too early and lost it a couple weeks later which sucked

Shouldn't have that problem with this tank though, as I literally have no spare cash to buy stock until my Christmas bonus at the end of the year
I know that feeling, I knew this hobby was expensive but didn't quiet realise how much of a drain it is lol luckily I you have to take it slow anyway so i shouldnt go bankrupt just yet :)

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Water finally cleared up. Also chucked a rock from nano in as it was better and more live then the rock I got from the lfs, a lot more worms and filter feeders on it to start spreading.

Also white leds on the left aren't working. I swapped the chords from left to right and they start working, so obviously a missing link in the cord from the drivers somewhere. But fixing that can wait till the weekend