Tank Journal Archive

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Leave the 60 degree lenses on it and mount the light up higher. Gives a better view in the top of an open top tank.

If/when I build another tank I want to build an LED spotlight with a tight cluster of LEDs with ~20 degree lenses and mount it at almost ceiling height.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
It's actually too hard to raise my lights as I would have to remake the hanger entirely which im too lazy to do at the moment. Theres also the fact my tank on the stand is 1.7m tall so you can't look down on it unless your on a step ladder, well none of the short asses in my household anyway.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
actually ran water through my sump last night, seems to be quiet enough, I actually had to open up my cabinet to make sure it was going where it was meant to go as I couldnt hear any water down there. I didn't get it running properly though with the pump and all as I came up a bit short on water and had to go out far back corner of my garden to get more and theres no lights out there, too dark and scarey.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Found this crab dead on the sand bed. Spewing as it looks kinda cool

Have the sump running 100% now. Those cheap ball valves are shit, it took me almost an hour to get it setup correctly

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Found this crab dead on the sand bed. Spewing as it looks kinda cool

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_20121119_185411_1.jpg

Have the sump running 100% now. Those cheap ball valves are shit, it took me almost an hour to get it setup correctly
Sure it's not just its moult? I have been fooled into thinking I have a dead crab a few times only to realise it was just an exact, albeit empty, clone.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Cant wait to see this new tank on the weekend!

Shame about the crab... If it is in fact dead. I thought my CBS was dead one day and it was just a moult!

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Started dosing Lanth chloride at the moment. 3ml a day into the air intake of the skimmer. Phosphate is slowly creeping up and have a feeling my base rock is leaching it. Figure I'll get on top of it now then run rowa when it seems to be under control to maintain low levels.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Still dont have the whites working on the left or any lenses on that side either as I have nothing on that side yet. Hence why it seems so much brighter. Tank isnt as blue as it shows here either.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Started dosing Lanth chloride at the moment. 3ml a day into the air intake of the skimmer. Phosphate is slowly creeping up and have a feeling my base rock is leaching it. Figure I'll get on top of it now then run rowa when it seems to be under control to maintain low levels.
0.3- last night, 0.09 this morning. I expect it to bounce back up straight away but geez this lanth is fast acting. As I said I will keep this up till I see fit that the rocks are clean then chuck my TLF 150 reactor and some rowa in the mix. My main goal with this tank is low maintenance which this should give me.

$19 for a 1L bottle doing 3ml a day doses, works out extremely cost effective. On the bottle it states 90ml will take a 20,000L pool from 0.25 -> 0.0

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Coming along nicely :) Crabs seem pretty sensitive I have found so many dead ones, unless they were just moults though they seemed full hmmm.

It will be cycled before you know it.

What's your stock list going to be?

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Havent really put too much thought into stock list, I get more into the corals at the moment which will probably be fairly SPS based.

the only definants at the moment are the fish from my nano, bi-color blenny & flame hawk. With the addition of a purple tang. Other then that I'll just see what my LFS gets in over time, maybe some of the easier to keep athia's or something which will fill the upper water column

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Now finally have an rodi unit thanks to VaultBoy which should make my life a hell of a lot easier. However I have already flooded the kitchen as I had the waste line running into a bucket, which was a bad choice after sitting down to watch tv and forgetting about it

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Sump is cranking now, bit over board with the lighting but that's the light from my nano and I will be growing frags in the front section when done completely

Also dumped pretty much all the contents from my nano in now I still need more rock and probably get rid of some of the shitty corals too

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
The whole thing looks massive from the lounge (still need to finish cladding obviously) although I did hold the camera down fairly low so it wouldn't get stupid amounts of glare off the LEDs

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_20121202_232544.jpg