Tank Journal Archive

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Had a mate running 2 tanks and just shut one down and combined them, so I went and stole a small amount of his left over rock. All nicely cycled and healthy with heaps of mysis pods and critters. Also stole a small container of his sand bed which was a lot more alive then my nanos.

This is what I came up with, kinda happy think it will be better if I slide the entire left bommie over a couple inches

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Really like the scape!! The left side does look better slightly more separate, but i actually liked the slope of the first one that kind of continued the line from the right side. Very nice either way!

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Just need some open swimming fish now, the flame hawk and blenny are cool and were good for the nano but all they do is hide away until feed time.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Well the bommie on the right pretty much just stacked, but there is some decent sized rocks there so holds its place pretty well. The left bommie is mainly stacked but like the top right ledge I grounds the 2 rocks together so they were perfectly locked in place. Took a while but worked well.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
So mate came round with a multi meter to properly setup my leds. Apparently they were being extremely under driven at 220ma, as I had just turned the meanwell pots all the way down with nothing to measure it with. Now all being driven at 650-680 ma, what a difference, probably doesn`t show in this pic but geez.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I really want a purple tang, have wanted one for ages. But dont know if I can justify spending $250 on a single fish, which seems to be the going rate in Adelaide at the moment. My misses has even offered to get it as my christmas present, but it still sits in my mind I could get quite a few other fish with that $250. Especially with the fact we are trying to be tight asses at the moment to save for a trip overseas.

decisions decisions

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I liked the first scape and would've said don't bother... but $&@#* me I'm never going to listen to myself again that rescape is awesome!

You may find your existing fish will become alot more active in the larger tank especially once you get more fish in there. Since I added the anthias everything is out and about. Decora, yellow tang and the Blenny all had a hide each and only moved for food now they are all out and swimming most of the light cycle!

And the LEDs do seen to look a lot better too in the later pics nice work!

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Cheers @Sarg

So water change Sunday (and skimmer clean obviously), thought I'd show you how I do my simple flow through water changes. Takes all of about 5 mins to do. I know flow through probably isn't the most efficient way of doing it but I'm lacking time these days so the simpler the better.

First up I turn off pretty much everything return pump, skimmer etc. Then close off all ball valves so only the main siphon is open, to stop the return siphoning back to the sump.

I then take the main siphon shown at the front here

The only part of the plumbing not glued, I pull it off and replace it with this

The hose runs out to a drain just outside. Then it's just a matter of pouring or pumping water into the dt. Everything that flows over the weir then ends up in the drain outside.

Replace the pipe on siphon, turn everything back on and retune the siphon and your done. Tuning the siphon just about takes me longer then the water change itself

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Picked up a couple of new pieces, I wasn't going to put any big colonys in this tank just grow out frags but couldn't help myself.

I seem to have a thing for really light colors at the moment.

Bright yellow

White with purple polyps

Dull yellow with blue growth

I'll take some better pics with my dslr one of these days