Off-Topic

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
After a busy 2 days, I thought I would have an easy day on Saturday and build the stairs. Now, this is not something I have done before so I spent a few hours browsing the web looking at numerous stair calculators - these actually made me more confused so I decided just to start taking some measurements and some angles and play it by ear as I went along. By the end of the day I only had the two stringers cut :eek and one marked out for the steps. Trying to work out the rise and run and angle and.......... was almost enough to make me put a match to the whole lot.

To join the treads to the stringers I basically had 3 options: butt them up together and screw; cut a rebate right across the stringer with the saw and screw; or house out a rebate to fit the tread. Basically, these are listed in order of complexity but the last one is stronger and looks better.

I chose the third option :rolleyes I will tell you shortly if this was the smart option.

I started Sunday morning by making a template for the router
PH-20.jpg

My test cut looked OK
PH-21.jpg

And the step fitted nicely
PH-22.jpg

I soon had all the housings cut in one of the stringers
PH-24.jpg

And shortly thereafter had all the pieces of the jigsaw ready to put together (with my two 'helpers')
PH-23.jpg

All good so far........

But, for anyone that has done something like this before, you will realise how difficult it is to put something like this together - especially with fairly tight fitting housings and wood which is not exactly 'A' grade i.e. slightly different sizes, slight bends etc.

I would get a few pieces together and then one would fall out, I would put it back in and another one would fall out ............ I am a fairly calm person in most situations but I do not need my kids laughing and telling me that another piece has fallen out :mad:. I desperately needed to swear loudly and so the kids got sent inside. Did I mention that it was about 32 degrees !! which didn't help.

After about 2 hours I still had 12 pieces of wood laying on the ground :eek - it was time for lunch and a break.

At the second attempt I revised my methods slightly and after about 1 hour I managed to get it all screwed together. After another hour I had it fixed in place and it was time for a beer.
PH-25.jpg

Pretty happy with the final result but I hope I don't have to do it again in a hurry.

Cheers

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Well done, it looks awesome! The kids must be so excited. It will be fun decking it out with toys, I had a little kitchen in mine as a kid. I've been trying to remember my father building ours but unfortunately I can't remember a thing. They make good chicken coops 20 years later ;)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Another busy weekend - roofing iron on just before a big storm hit Hobart this evening :)

Saturday - battens on and a sheet sitting in place to make sure everything fits OK (more on this shortly).
PH-26.jpg

Later that day I got most of one side finished - again, it is not easy doing this by yourself.
PH-27.jpg

Sunday, with rain threatening for most of the day, I got all the roofing iron in place.
PH-28.jpg
PH-29.jpg

I ordered the roofing iron, flashings etc last Tuesday - they said it would be ready on Thursday but, as I was going to be in Launceston, I told them that Friday afternoon would be fine.

I arrived as arranged only to find that some of the flashings had not been made - was told that it would only take 15 minutes to make them up - OK, but why can't people do what they say they are going to do?? They proceeded to put the roofing iron into the trailer. Now, I had done a rough measurement at 1.8m but ordered 1.85m to give myself a margin for error. They seemed to fit in the trailer a bit too easy so I questioned the length - they had made a mistake and only ordered 1.8m :mad:

At this stage I was fairly confident that 1.8m would be OK but I didn't show the same level of confidence to the guy ;) After talking it over for a few minutes I agreed to take the sheets on the proviso that they could be returned if they didn't fit and that he should give me a good price given the error - he knocked almost 30% off the price and gave me half a box of screws:)

And, the good news is that the sheets fitted fine - I would have preferred the extra 50mm but I liked the reduced price better :p

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Lol considering I'm actually looking at having a go at making one myself, it isn't such a bad idea. Have you got a tally on the "damages" so far?

V

'vspec'

sweet project bud.

yup, stairs are a bitch, let alone doing it uno

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Lol considering I'm actually looking at having a go at making one myself, it isn't such a bad idea. Have you got a tally on the "damages" so far?
I don't want to add it up yet - I will give you an idea when I have finished :rolleyes

As usual, another busy weekend.

On Saturday I started working out how the flashings were going to go on, and how I was going to actually get them up without falling 5m to the ground :eek I think I spent more time over the two days in trying to work out a way to do things rather than actually doing them.

By Saturday night I had completed the front facia and had the flashing in place.
PH-30.jpg

By Sunday night I had the back flashing and the roof cap in place - the roof is just about finished with just a few extra screws to go.
PH-31.jpg

Didn't do a great deal today - started painting the walls and made up two of the window frames.
PH-32.jpg

Getting there, slowly :rolleyes

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
I reckon Jen & I have worked it out. MagicJ has told the wife & tin lids this is a playhouse, but once the novelty wears off with the kids, this will be the new home for the Tassie Reefuge meetings! :D

Tis an epic build mate. :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I reckon Jen & I have worked it out. MagicJ has told the wife & tin lids this is a playhouse, but once the novelty wears off with the kids, this will be the new home for the Tassie Reefuge meetings! :D

Tis an epic build mate. :)
To quote from an earlier post

BTW, this playhouse is going to be built more like a house!!. Don't tell anyone, but my long term plan is to use this for a fish room when the kids have grown up. I would love to have the time and space to try to breed some marine fish/inverts.
How old are kids before they loose interest in a playhouse??

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Do you mean the facial tumour thing? it's really sad! I hope all the research and preservation efforts are not in vain.
Yes - I heard a discussion a little while ago and some people think that they may actually be wiped out in the wild. You have got to wonder how some of these things actually start :confused: