Tank Journal Archive

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Your tanks just over stocked I reckon with corals and you aren't depleting your po4 levels quick enough hence the excessive algae growth..if you do weekly water changes for a month and your tank looks better. Than that's how much your po4 needs to sit at to keep the tank in its optimum state. Just some thoughts to maybe why.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Your tanks just over stocked I reckon with corals and you aren't depleting your po4 levels quick enough hence the excessive algae growth..if you do weekly water changes for a month and your tank looks better. Than that's how much your po4 needs to sit at to keep the tank in its optimum state. Just some thoughts to maybe why.
i wasnt aware that you could overstock on corals...ill do a read up on it...i think (from past reading) the only issue with excessive corals is that trace elements and calcium/alk deplete quicker, although as for phosphates it would only be an issue if you were heavily feeding the tank for the corals, which i do not do, although i used to be slack on water changes so i will continue doing weekly changes to see if it improves :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
why would lighting increase phosphates?

I cant remember was your phosphate high before? Might be leaching
my phosphates were like 0.86 then i did a water chance and changed my rowaphos and it came down to 0.09 i have a feeling something may be leaching but i have no idea what....as for the lights i read up that it creates too much CO2 which can encourage the algae to grow, and there have been times ive notices air bubble on the rocks sometimes

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
looking nice! shame about the algae.

From what i can recall the sexy shrimp wasn't exactly free, just happened to be a nice surprise haha

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Everyones tank goes through shit stages, water changes and patience will cure it. Still looking mighty schmick Leo. NOICE CLAMS!

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
i might have this problem also. wont know until i start dosing some brightwell phosphat-E. does anyone know if LFS stock these or would it have to be bought online?

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Corals produce waste aswells brother, so if you're corals eat. They poop. What is poop...but to the main point..if you feed your corals. Which is still feeding. Like your gonis and lps maybe..if they're consuming any source of food besides photosynthesising..they will add to those unwanted levels by expelling their waste into the water. Gotta remember corals are animals aswells. Not plants. So they eat and produce waste. :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Corals produce waste aswells brother, so if you're corals eat. They poop. What is poop...but to the main point..if you feed your corals. Which is still feeding. Like your gonis and lps maybe..if they're consuming any source of food besides photosynthesising..they will add to those unwanted levels by expelling their waste into the water. Gotta remember corals are animals aswells. Not plants. So they eat and produce waste. :)
Very minimal not enough to raise phos like he has

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
^^^ What they said, 0.82 is damn high phosphate. Your rocks and sand would have absorbed a lot of it over time, so it will take a lot longer to get it all back out again. Keep up water changes and rowaphos changes when need and it will get there in the end.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
well my plan to keep up the WC's will continue so hopefully i can bring it down and out that way instead of wasting all my RowaPhos

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
well my plan to keep up the WC's will continue so hopefully i can bring it down and out that way instead of wasting all my RowaPhos
Not sure Leo, but maybe using phos e will remove the bounded phos? Or run those bio pellets? Heard alot of people using that to solve their nitrate or phosphate problems not sure which one it was.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
took me a good 12 months of heavy phos reduction to extract the original bound phos out of my rock. since then tho every tank ive had the rock and substrate in ive never had an issue!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Not sure Leo, but maybe using phos e will remove the bounded phos? Or run those bio pellets? Heard alot of people using that to solve their nitrate or phosphate problems not sure which one it was.
i found the easyest way to bring mine down was liquid binders every few days and just keep skimming it out, all in all took 12 months for it to stop leaching