Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Did you know ... that the last FTS in this thread was posted on April 24 2012? That's over 6 months of FTS growth that has not been documented ...

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
we want FTS, what did you end up doing with the new leds? what combo did you stick with?
I haven't got around to changing anything so my current combination is:
  • 2 Deep Red
  • 4 Turquoise
  • 8 True Violet
  • 4 Blue
  • 24 Royal Blue
  • 6 Neutral White
  • 12 Cool White
When I build my new hood :rolleyes I have some Cyan to try as well. I ordered some new meanwell drivers last night plus a power supply - these drivers will dim to 0; can be controlled directly from the Arduino 5v PWM, are relatively cheap ($9 each) and small :)

I took some photo's Sunday night - I will try to get them uploaded tonight.

Cheers

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Hey Shane, if these new drivers work out OK how many LED's do you think you will be able to drive per unit?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hey Shane, if these new drivers work out OK how many LED's do you think you will be able to drive per unit?
They will work ;)

The output depends on the input power supply - they will take up to 56 volts input, and 52 volts output so that equates to 14/15 leds. A 48v power supply is more cost effective, so that will drive around 13/14 leds.

Oh - and where is the updated FTS????

Cheers
:rolleyes

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I haven't got around to changing anything so my current combination is:
  • 2 Deep Red
  • 4 Turquoise
  • 8 True Violet
  • 4 Blue
  • 24 Royal Blue
  • 6 Neutral White
  • 12 Cool White
When I build my new hood :rolleyes I have some Cyan to try as well. I ordered some new meanwell drivers last night plus a power supply - these drivers will dim to 0; can be controlled directly from the Arduino 5v PWM, are relatively cheap ($9 each) and small :)

Cheers
Curious why you use the Cool White given your other LEDs hit the same spectrum. From what I read (I do go on alot about LEDs given I have never done DIY myself, so feel free to tell me to shut the hell up haha) a Neutral White base gives a cleaner look, supplemented by the other colours.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
chimaera I have used 50/50 cool white and neutral white LEDs on mine (plus blue and royal blue, deep red turquoise and true violet) my way of thinking is that the more LEDs in the mix the better colour blending and the better spectrum coverage. Even if 2 particular LEDs spectrums overlap there will always be areas that they do not, to me this will mean a greater spectral range and therefore (in my head atleast :rolleyes) better coral growth/health.

MagicJ you are almost as bad as I am when it comes to updating your TJ lol

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@chimaera just to add to VaultBoy.

I like the 20k look i.e. a touch on the blue side. When I first started down the DIY led road I used a mix of Cool White (2 different bins) + Royal Blue + Blue (2 different bins).

When I was looking to add some more of the spectrum I added some Neutral Whites and other 'Exotics'. For me, the Neutral Whites made the overall look too yellow and I actually replaced some of the new NW with RB.

If I used just NW, then I would need a heap of RB to balance out the colour - the tank would then look too dark as there would not be much white light. So, the balance, for me, was to have a majority of CW supplemented by some NW to add in some of the red spectrum.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i found the same thing shane that NW and WW were very yellow!

now wheres this FTS you promised? :D

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
OK, here you go :rolleyes

To be honest, not much has changed over the past 6 months - no fish have come or gone; only one new coral added, the scolly, and you have already seen that. The Green Star Polyps have grown a lot; the hammers are expanding significantly; everything is just going good.

Still struggling a bit with nitrates but 2 x 125l water changes over the past 2 weeks is starting to make a difference - I will continue with the large water changes over the next few months.

FTS-2-151112.jpg

FTS-151112.jpg

Now, leave me alone until May 2014 :p

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Shane that looks great! Needs a few special pieces Imo to bring out the colors like a gold hammer or something :)