Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Whilst taking Ken and Jen on a LFS crawl of the only shop selling marine stock in Hobart today, we spied this little ric in one of the tanks - well, it was actually the only coral tank :) With a bit of arm twisting from Ken it was bagged up and is now in my tank. In reality, I was not planning on buying any corals but Ken and Jen were thinking about buying it and taking it home on the plane - now, we have enough trouble getting any half decent corals in Tasmania so I wasn't about to let those cheeky Victorians steel it from under our noses :D .

Ric-1.jpg

Ric.jpg

There were also a few very sick looking scollies in the tank. I don't advocate the purchasing of sick corals in the hope that they will recover but, at the price negotiated, I thought it was worth the risk. My stromb jumped staright in to help with the clean up :)

Scolly-1.jpg

Scolly.jpg

Stromb.jpg

Any thoughts on the chances of surviving??

Henry G

Oct 9, 2012
Brisbane
If the conditions are in its favor it can recover. It seems healthy, like the tissue that is there. The only concern is that there is not a great amount of it!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Wow that ric was a nice find. Was it priced as such rics normally are?

The scoly looks to have a decent amount of flesh left and its mouth is intact so I'd say it has a decent chance. I'd have given it a shot too.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Too much for what they are :rolleyes

One week on and the scolly is looking slightly better. The snails have done a good job of keeping the algae at bay, and some of the areas on the inside have started to repair where the skeleton was poking through the flesh.

View attachment 12173
i ask cos i have one similar...wouldnt mind pricing it up lol

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Can really see some improvement there mate. :)
Would be nice if you could post a couple of pics each week of the progress.

P.S- I would have thought the scolly would look better after being in your tank for 10 months tho??? :rolleyes

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
P.S- I would have thought the scolly would look better after being in your tank for 10 months tho??? :rolleyes
Good pick up :D

Photoshop was trying to autoformat the date, but it was doing it wrong - I didn't notice that I had an extra '1' where it shouldn't have been :rolleyes

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Too much for what they are :rolleyes

One week on and the scolly is looking slightly better. The snails have done a good job of keeping the algae at bay, and some of the areas on the inside have started to repair where the skeleton was poking through the flesh.

View attachment 12173
How is this doing after a month or so @MagicJ? Has it pulled through or not made it.
How about that magic Ric, split yet??? :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
How is this doing after a month or so @MagicJ? Has it pulled through or not made it.
I'm probably still sitting on the fence Ken - it has actually filled out a bit, but at the same time has receded a bit from the edges.

Scolly.jpg

How about that magic Ric, split yet??? :)
No, the ric has not split, nor has it been cut :D But it has got quite a bit bigger

Ric.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Picked up 5 Dispar Anthia's on Friday :)

Three have settled in reasonably well and are at least starting to look for food tonight. The other two are acting strangely :confused: One went straight to the bottom when placed in the tank and has basically not moved much in 3 days - it is now hiding under my Trachyphyllia geoffroyi. The other one is sitting vertically in the top corner of the tank - I have moved it away a few times but it soon moves back to the same spot. No interest in food from these two - any ideas?

Here are some photo's of the 3 happy ones

Dispar-Anthia-1.jpg

Dispar-Anthia-2.jpg

Dispar-Anthia-3.jpg

I suspect the last one may be a male due to the blue edging to the fins - any confirmation appreciated.