Tank Journal Archive

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
To start with they just ate frozen mysis then they eventually started taking New Era flake and NLS too. NLS they are a bit iffy on sometimes they smash them all up other times they bite,spit,bite,spit then sometimes swallow other times not lol Generally they are pretty good. I also occasionally feed spirulina brine and ocean nutrition red plankton. They dont seem to be as bigger fans of brine as they are mysis. I also feed live brine on fridays (as thats when ernie gets his delivery for the week :)) and I normally let them swim in some 100% reef safe aminos for half an hour wether that does anything or not nutrition wise.

Nov 15, 2012
Hi @MagicJ

I got my Anthias to eat feeding my normal fish and when they where full throwing in some live brine. after 3days the anthias now hit the defrosted frozen no dramas. Ocean Nutrition Red Plankton frozen is best for them. maybe a little multiple times a day to get them used to it then wein them down slowly.

Correct last picture is the Male. but will colour up more over time. Good looking healthy fish.

Get on the red plankton they smash it. Just wave the frozen cube through the water and it breaks apart and floats around.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi @MagicJ

I got my Anthias to eat feeding my normal fish and when they where full throwing in some live brine. after 3days the anthias now hit the defrosted frozen no dramas. Ocean Nutrition Red Plankton frozen is best for them. maybe a little multiple times a day to get them used to it then wein them down slowly.

Correct last picture is the Male. but will colour up more over time. Good looking healthy fish.

Get on the red plankton they smash it. Just wave the frozen cube through the water and it breaks apart and floats around.
Thanks for the info.

I suspect one of the other anthia's that is hiding is also a male - are they ever likely to get along together or should I find another home for it??

BTW - these fish were sourced directly from a wholesaler so I didn't have the opportunity to select my own fish.

Nov 15, 2012
Thanks for the info.

I suspect one of the other anthia's that is hiding is also a male - are they ever likely to get along together or should I find another home for it??

BTW - these fish were sourced directly from a wholesaler so I didn't have the opportunity to select my own fish.

You can have multiple males no dramas. give them some time they should get comfortable and start schooling. These guys normally swim at the top of a reef. Mine have done the vertical sit in the top corner.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
3 are going great - 2 still have not eaten :(

I am not sure what to do with them - they are getting very thin which you would expect after 4+ weeks of not eating.
Aggh no good :( as the other guys have said if someone down there has the range if ocean nutrition food you could get the lobster eggs or red plankton. Mine also eat fish flesh squished up into small bits.

Maybe try adding a garlic additive to the frozen foods??

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The LFS does not stock Ocean Nutrition unfortunately :(. I bought some Hikari Ocean Plankton but it looks pretty similar to the mysis and it did not elicit a feeding response.

Seriously considering putting these two fish out of their misery.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Its weird thats for sure. Does anyone down there sell garlic additive? I know K&J do. Maybe there is someway to add garlic your self as it is supposed to get finiky fish feeding. Maybe some finely chopped prawn and fish flesh mixed with some garlic? Or you frozen food soaked in some water with a clove of crushed garlic?