Tank Journal Archive

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
God, those photos are horrendous :(:(
Next project is to find my battery charger and my rechargeable batteries so I can use my 12MP digital camera to take decent photos (I'd forgotten I had it until a month ago - i'm still finding stuff I didn't realize I still had after moving months ago :eek)

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
This is the surprise morph i scored last week after being told there weren't any - $4 :eek:D

2012-10-19 15.00.31.jpg

This is the Pipe Organ coral I got for $10 when i first put it in last week:
2012-10-19 18.00.34.jpg

It has developed awesome green on its tentacle-thingys since then however and is looking quite verdant :D

This is my nano looking very happy this morning too:

2012-10-26 10.50.49.jpg

And here is today's purchase. Spotted a duncan frag laying on the bottom of the coral tank. $8.
2012-10-26 19.24.21.jpg

2012-10-26 19.24.32.jpg

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Ah.... Well....

There is some news but its not good.
At all.
In fact, it depressed the hell out of me and i was waiting til i felt a bit better before I posted about it.:(
But basically, I was doing some maintenance work (aka "fiddling") and the light fell in the tank.
This blew the safety switch but before that happened, I and my tank had an interesting experience with electricity.
Apparently hammers don't take kindly to this and died, crashing my tank and killing everyone except the zoas (they really are tough little fukkas)
Including Thor and my rics and everyone else.
So yeah.
Wasn't a good week last week.:cry

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Was glad to hear you are ok but really sucks about the tank. I'm always paranoid about lights being on when I have my hands in the tank, I check my leds every few minutes when I have to do anything just in case I might have gave them a nudge and not realized. :cry

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
:eek I am glad its just the tank that died! Are you ok? (maybe glad is the wrong word but Im happy you're not dead!)

One of the reasons I built my LED the way I did was to keep 240v away from water. I have a 24v power supply behind the tank which powers the drivers on top of the fixture. I was playing around with the drivers one day to connect my arduino dimmer and dropped one end of the light in the water! Fortunately it was off but it was a scary reminder that I really should remove the light all together before doing anything with it.

I am glad you are ok but sad to hear for you loss. If you need help to re-stock I will help out.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
I agree better be that you are safe then the tank...it is a tragedy but these things happen, it's better that your safe.

Around a decade ago when I was first starting my fish tanks at the age of 14 I had a small 2foot freshwater tank housing a decent sized Archer Fish, the tank had a light on it one of those typical cheap 1 fluro 2ft fixture, however I accidentally knocked it in one day whilst it was 'on' and in a panic to save the fish I went for the light and stuck my hands in the water.

All I remembered was waking up very scared & confused not knowing how I went from tank to floor with dad over me.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
I certainly wouldn't let this event stop me from restarting again I would look at it as a chance to do things different, every time I think I have my layout and corals / inhabitants set in place, I start to think of different things how I could improve in 1 area.

Since starting my stands I can lay down at the very least 2 dozen flaws that are not albeit fatal but pointless/silly designs, making me think what I was thinking when I had them done...if for what ever reason I lost all the tanks (say earthquake or similar event) I certainly would rebuild them as I have learned so much in keeping them currently and what the faults are etc.

1 thing I have done to ensure no light ever falls in a tank again is to always have lights hanging via wire/cable, not only are they out of the way but their also never going to fall into the tanks below.

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
Bah!!! Dont think like that, life is about ups and downs and how you handle them and bounce back from the bad times..

Re-stock and continue on even if you leave it for a week or two before going again...

If you wish I will assist with some frags of hammers & torches to help :)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
& I know of an online store in australia that has a G.graphurus for sale too :) (they sent me an email a while back and still have it listed on their site for sale).

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
That same site didn't even bother returning my enquiry :rolleyes Very sorry to hear about the tank, I hope it comes back better than ever!

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Bah!!! Dont think like that, life is about ups and downs and how you handle them and bounce back from the bad times..

Re-stock and continue on even if you leave it for a week or two before going again...

If you wish I will assist with some frags of hammers & torches to help :)

Thank you, sweetie - I don't normally think like that but its the second time I've lost a tank this year. The first was my 4' marine tank and I promised myself I wouldn't have another marine tank til I didn't have to move anymore. But I gave in and set up this Nano. It went really well for months and now because of my own stupidity, another lot of sea creatures have paid the ultimate price :( Currently, I feel like a failed guardian and a murderer :(

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
Stupidity - No

Failed guardian & murderer - Nope

Accidents happen & by nature are accidental not deliberate, otherwise the would be called ' on purposes ' not accidents.. :p

On thing I always think of too is all things in nature eventually pass away, any loses just passed sooner than expected..

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Stupidity - No

Failed guardian & murderer - Nope

Accidents happen & by nature are accidental not deliberate, otherwise the would be called ' on purposes ' not accidents.. :p

On thing I always think of too is all things in nature eventually pass away, any loses just passed sooner than expected..

I feel a bit better - thank you. I appreciate everyone's support and offers of frags - I will probably set up again but first I think I shall invest in a new nano tank - same as my current one only new (called an Aqua Sun and its 21 or 24L). My original one was 2nd hand and the wiring could have been dodgey. So ii I set up again, it'll be in a new tank. I'll keep you posted here as to my progress in that department :)

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Now give yourself a big hug from all of us:)
and start thinking of how you want to rescue this tank
Oops was writing at the same time as you Michelle

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
You're very welcome. Anything I can do to help I will.

You didn't fail by way of neglect or indifference it was a genuine accident. So dont feel bad!