Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Damn, that really blows. I remember how devastated I was when I fried my two pico tanks, and that was through stupidity not just accidental.

Take a breath, plan, and start again ...

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Now I'm really in a conundrum: real estate has informed me that my lease won't be renewed in February because the landlord is going to sell the unit to their son who is going to be living in it. *sigh*
This will be the 4th move in 2 yrs :(
I guess the logistics of moving a nano tank and inhabitants will be easier than a bigger tank.
I hope.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I you start it up now it will just be stabilizing by febuary... You could start a small tank with just live rock in it to cycle it before you start a new tank. Then when you move you can have a tank setup straight away!

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Yeah, VaultBoy, that sounds the most sensible course of action. Y'know what, though? In "The Reject Shop" catalogue, they have 20L bow-front tanks for $50 ea. I am very, very very very tempted to buy 3 - 1 for a pair of clowns (coz I love those guys), 1 for a mandarin or 2 & 1 for another mantis

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I am a bit dubious about keeping a mandy in a 20L tank... Unless you get it feeding on prepped foods it will struggle to fend for itself with a limitted supply of pods to eat.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I am a bit dubious about keeping a mandy in a 20L tank... Unless you get it feeding on prepped foods it will struggle to fend for itself with a limitted supply of pods to eat.
Well yes, I had thought about that too but in view of the pods in my 26L, I thought they could keep up to demand. The 26L tank was literally crawling with the things and nothing ate them. It was like watching a swarm of cockroaches in the tank:eek
I guess it depends on how fast the pods breed (and they were in plague proportions within weeks in my 26L tank) and how many a day the mandy would eat?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
They eat constantly I think, so you would soon run out relying on those alone. It would need to eat prepared too.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
ok. maybe shelve the mandy til i own my own home and can have a HUGE marine tank for it
I adore those guys and have loved them from afar for years *sigh*
Clown fish are cute and entertaining though.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Don't know where you would get a captive bred one

? NiCd maybe???????
can help you with training it though to eat other foods

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
GPSmart in wa breeds them and then sells them to a few lfs. If he won't deal with you direct place an order through reef secrets

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
GPSmart in wa breeds them and then sells them to a few lfs. If he won't deal with you direct place an order through reef secrets

Ahh. Okay - many thanks NiCd :) I knew they were one of the few species that have been bred for the trade but wasn't sure who or where or how many or how often. I may just wait til I have a fully set up marine tank again and simply keep seahorse, clown and mantis nanos for now.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
They are really cute when you get them they are about 1cm big and at that stage they are taking nls pellets so they are really easy. The only down side is the cost. I think they are about a hundred a pop compared to thirty for wild caught

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
They are really cute when you get them they are about 1cm big and at that stage they are taking nls pellets so they are really easy. The only down side is the cost. I think they are about a hundred a pop compared to thirty for wild caught
Well, I guess at a hundred a pop, you put your money where you mouth is when it comes to conservation. If it meant they survived and thrived then it would be worth it. 1cm is TINY...how cute they would be!!

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Well, I am still uhmh-ing and ahh-ing about whether I dare start another nano. I've been looking at affordable tanks around the 26-30L mark and looking at the classifieds here. There's some awesome corals about and decently priced. I've been thinking that IF I start another tank, it'll just be "easy", "common" stuff like xenia and star polyps and such. And morphs. I still love those things!! I love the colors - you can have a tank of just morphs and have an eye-popping display. In fact, that's aaaalllllmost decided me. Morphs and different colored xenia and star polyps and clove coral. And maybe a goni.... Or two......*sigh*:banghead