Reef Discussion

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
OK guys,

Thought i'd post an update and share where i am currently at.

Skimmer: Rlss r6i
Return pump: Eheim compact 3000
Powerhead: 1x Tunze turbelle nanostream 6095 with Tunze wave controller 7092
Heater: Aqua care HA 300

I've connected the plumbing for the water running into the sump but am currently having a few issues with the connection that runs back into the weir. There seems to be a rubber washer missing or something. It doesn't sit nice and tight as it should. I'm thinking i'll have to head to bunnings and find something suitable.

Has anyone with a CADE experienced this issue?

Once that is taken care of, i'll be ready for some live rock and water. Which leads me to:

Is it better to buy natural sea water or mix it myself?
How much live rock should i purchase? One place told me 20 kg minimum.. but recommended 40 kg. (It is all up 264 litre tank)

Thanking you in advance. :)

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
Another thing i wanted to ask is:

As you can see in the last pic, i have placed the wave and skimmer controller on the outside of the cabinet. Is it safe to have them mounted inside the cabinet? The set up would look alot neater.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Natural vs artificial. There is no difference really, i think its almost a 50/50 spread of reefers who prefer either. However almost all will use artificial as natural cannot always be collected because of rain ect.
CADE- i know nothing about them haha.
As for the live rock, im only looking to use 20-25kg in my 350L tank. Hopefully a little less if i can get the scape how i like it.

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
Not much I think.. I'm close to the bay (yarraville/west footscray) - LFS tell me they can acquire it and test it on my behalf. I've heard people argue that it's a pain to lug all the water home in containers. But I have a ute and that to me is not an issue!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I'm not sure about the water quality in that area of the bay - I know that a lot is collected down around the Black Rock area, and further South on the Eastern side of the Bay.

@Synodontis - you are from that general area - any thoughts on that part of the bay?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
dude you def need to start a tank journal lol, this thing is going be awesome.

love the idea of the algae turf scrubber, does anyone know if we can get that one from america here, that's prebuilt and ready to go?

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
Thanks man... once i get it cycling i'll drop back and do a detailed TJ.
Off to bunnings in this mad xmas rush to see if i can find a suitable rubber washer for the return pipe. Oh and a stand of some sort to sit in the right hand chamber which will support a 15 litre container above it full of RO water for the ATO. Ive been told just to place a bucket in there, but if the way im thinking works... it won't subtract from the total volume of sea water. It also will allow me to possibly put some live rock and the algae scrubber.
They're the current plans anyway.. will see how i go.. after today it just may be a bucket.. lol

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
I'm not sure about the water quality in that area of the bay - I know that a lot is collected down around the Black Rock area, and further South on the Eastern side of the Bay.

@Synodontis - you are from that general area - any thoughts on that part of the bay?
Hmmm.. My gut tells me the water quality from black rock and from the peninsula would be a lot better than that of western port area. May give Mentone aquarium a call to discuss.

beau

Jun 12, 2013
craigieburn
Nsw can be delivered :) I had simiar issues but went with nsw. Buy 600ish litres once a month or even 2 months, works out about as much as mixed. If you choose to do mixed remember you'll need ro for it, well actually you will need ro in general for top ups anyway

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey @JMC
I reckon you'd have to be really hard up to use any water around Yarra / Altona lol.
If your around that part of Melbourne, check out @Deerpark Aquarium in Station St.
They have NSW on tap if you want to lug it yourself, or if you have an IBC at home, I can deliver 1000Ltrs to you.
Another thing i wanted to ask is:

As you can see in the last pic, i have placed the wave and skimmer controller on the outside of the cabinet. Is it safe to have them mounted inside the cabinet? The set up would look a lot neater.
Not a problem mounting the controls inside the cabinet, I would say 95% of us have them mounted that way.
Just as long as they are within reach, high up in the cabinet away from any drip hazards you should be right.

JMC

Nov 16, 2013
Hi guys. Hoping to get this tank wet tomorrow. I've placed the tank where it will finally sit. It is level BUT as u can see in the video there is a little bit of movement. I'm excited but kinda freaking out that something terrible May result when it has all the extra weight of the rock and water. I've checked the screws in the cabinet and all seem to be tight as can be. Am I overreacting or could this be very dangerous?

Attachments

newTOreef

Nov 16, 2013
i would fix the problem mate, you are gonna have something over compensating for the weight instead of an even load, would prob be all good, but i would be safe then sorry and fix it so they weigh distributes evenly

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
the legs on these stands wind up or down incase your flooring isn't level thats why it rocks. if you swist/swivvel the little round feet you will stabilise it