Reef Discussion

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
The float switches can be mounted on a bit of acrylic or plastic bent to shape. Unless you already have something (a skimmer bracket or something) that you can use.If you need help with your particular setup, let me know - I can always design and print up a suitable bracket on the 3D printer :)
we're waiting on a 3d printing pen from a kickstarter we bought into, that'll be interesting to use.

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
loving these website addresses Sam keep them coming.
I search google for hours trying to find ideas and then you post the thing I'm looking for and it takes 1 second

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Will add a float switch to the lid of my skimmer cup tonight. It will tell the skimmer to power off if it reaches about 85% capacity and send me a text telling me to empty it. (haven't flooded it yet, but have gone close!)

For those that are really lazy, you could power up a small little pond pump that drained the cup for you :P

Chunks

Jun 5, 2013
Awesome use of the ninja block.

I was thinking of using one to built an automatic water change unit. It could be done with the float switches and power sockets for pumps. Then just program it using the online app. You could then login in while away and activate a water change. Or it could be triggered by a water parameter (PH/TDS) or regular time cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yep you bet, very easy to do and is how I have setup my new tank. Ninjablock turns on the pump to evacuate sump, then turns on the pump all the way out in my back shed (which is connected to 2 IBC's) and pumps into the tank. Easy to do :)

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks for the heads up, looks like I missed the group buy as I saw it after buying one, ohh well.. can't wait to try it out..

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
@leodb89 are you doing a group buy on the Foscam's as well or just the ninja blocks? I having been eyeing the Foscam's for a while just waiting....

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
@Joele Don't worry mate, just means you'll have yours to play with sooner and can help me with some more ideas on it!

I'd be interested in a group by for the new HD foscams. The have sellers on ebay who sell them less per piece the more you buy???

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Correct.
Float switches connecting to 433mhz senders tell the "base" what the water level is.
The "base" then switches pumps on and off via remote control sockets based on what the float switches say.

Simples!

hoangii

Feb 2, 2013
Footscray
I got a 2 foot tank, you think that an ATO using dosing pumps be better suited or would you still recommend actual pumps for top off. Im asking because im thinking of building a dosing type unit.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I can vouch for that nano osmolator it's really good...

Hey Sam if you send me the model of the Foscam I'll add it to the GB I don't want it to be too many products so if we can choose the most effective one

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Maybe a separate group buy? They are self supporting (no need for ninja block) Ninja block can use any basic USB web can too, I should grabbed the 100's work were throwing out...

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Ninja block can use any basic USB web can too
I assume the Ninja block also integrate with any IP based webcams, I already have a foscam FI8907W, no idea how good or bad it is, never got around to hooking it up as was going to use with Neptune Apex, but not willing to pay their prices..