Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I've had no issues with interference what so ever, but does that mean it doesn't exist? No... My recommendation, if there is something that is critical (i.e., like my sump evac pump - run two switched outlets. One as a 'arming' switch and the other as the actuator.

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
I've had no issues with interference what so ever, but does that mean it doesn't exist? No... My recommendation, if there is something that is critical (i.e., like my sump evac pump - run two switched outlets. One as a 'arming' switch and the other as the actuator.
Unfortunately that is not going to solve the issue,
eg pump turns on, someone turns on a baby monitor, neither plug turns off.

Remember it only takes one time for it to end in tears when someones pump or heater shuts off.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
create some sort of physical timer that will only allow the pump to run for X number of seconds before shutting off (and doesn't reset until power cycled?)

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
You could use a proper relay like the one below, especially if controlling 12v pumps (I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting using it for 240v ac devices though it supports it, I think) I would think the ninja block should be able to trigger it (5volt)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5V-4-cha...cal_Test_Equipment&hash=item53fa84e3a0&_uhb=1

I am only planning to use the on/off switch to turn evaporation fan on if too hot, nothing tank critical really, more interested in remote and around the clock monitoring of temp, ph and salinity, and the float switches to alert when skimmer cup is full and ro/di top off container is near empty (which is why I asked if they can be hard wired)..

I do agree 433mhz wireless is a nice thing to play around with, but I don't trust it for my tank...

Last edited:

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Sam when you say get onboard i take you you mean back the New Build ???
I am happy to help them out as the technology seems fantastic, however I've purchased the old unit and power points, etc and have not received any confirmation of the unit being posted as yet. Its now been over a week. I received some Watts Clever switches straight away but not much point having them without the old Ninja Block.
Anyway the longer we go the less confident i am of receiving the entire order. All good i will continue to wait however will donate if and when the old unit gets here.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
No need to stress on your order, it will come!
The new version isn't due till a fair way into next year and will take time to develop once it does arrive. They are continuing to support and develop for both models.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
No need to stress on your order, it will come!
The new version isn't due till a fair way into next year and will take time to develop once it does arrive. They are continuing to support and develop for both models.
I don't know what to do now - we'll probably get the current version and swap over if the new one is great.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
for the cost of the current one, I'd get on board with that. Anything you develop for your home setup should be compatible with the new system (will just have extra features like knowing where people are within the house etc.)

Plus if I have learnt anything from the many kickstarted things I have backed - the estimated delivery date is far from expected... Add 6-12months and your looking about right :P

Sam

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Hey Sam is it possible to get more reliable (electrical) water level sensors?
I know that small plastic sensors can fail by getting stuck.
Just thought id ask. I know the cost of the float sensors is soooo cheap which is great but i thought maybe there was a safer option to use?

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Very interested to see how this turns out and will be tagging along. Although I worry for you about getting the atlas stuff integrated. I suppose you have two options with Ninja: connect to the main processor (beaglebones) or the arduino. I have no doubt you can get a reading from the Atlas stuff however do not understand (ok have not read nay doco) how you get user data objects from arduino or beaglebone (i.e. pH) as a ninja object into the cloud.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
you would need a conversion table coded in to tell the ninja what each voltage equates to in ph. Im sure Atlas would provide this info, otherwise it can be extrapolated easily enough from measuring the output and using a few different ph calibration fluids.
Actually shouldn't be too hard :)

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Problem is the ninja block documentation is pretty poor from what I have seen so far, but I think once I have the unit it may make more sense and hopefully we can sort it out..

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk