Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Pics of float added to skimmer cup lid. (No idea why upside down...) Used a weatherproof deutsch connector for easy removal and cleaning.
Will set to send me a text for now, but will have it turn skimmer off as well once I'm happy with it.

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Been checking out the activity of my heater, seems it is incredibly accurate! 10 minute on/off cycles for a .1 degree temperature swing:
heater.png

Please note, I have pasted two screen shots next to each other to show the time and temp at a corresponding low and high point in the graph :)

Sam

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
Cool project!

I was hanging out with Marcus (the founder) from ninja blocks and Justy (dude in the video tutorials) a few weeks back at an Arduino event.
Marcus has hung up his Ninja Block hat for the time being to work on an exciting new project.

The remote power outlets are cool but you would absolutely not use them for anything even remotely mission critical.
433mhz is used by everything (it is one of our license free ISM bands) from universal TV remote controls, to cordless microphones, garage door openers, baby monitors etc.

For instance when my neighbors use their garage door opener and once its radio wakes up I can not use my 433mhz remote controlled power board for the next 10min untill the radio in the garage opener goes back to sleep, even if I spam an ON command 30 times it just ignores it.

I can also trigger outlet 4 on the Bunnings version of the remote power board by pressing unlock on my car key :p
If you look closely at the video you can see Justy is having a bit of trouble with his one...

They also have cheep and nasty switch mode power supplies inside them which cause the micro to go nuts when the caps start to go in them (turns randomly on/off)

That said it should be simple enough to add some proper hardwired outlets on it, it is after all an Arduino powered cape on a beagle bone and completely open for customization. This is a hardwired one I have used before successfully with an Arduino.
IMG_0052.JPG

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I was very much hoping you would take a look at this thread @Neillw !!!

We could really use your assistance in getting some more functionality out of these things, like hooking up some sensors from Atlas scientific to build on the logging aspect. Seems that the building blocks are there, just need someone with some know-how to connect them :)
Sam

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
It is all under wraps at the moment,
It is so cool though they have got a major Australian ISP on-board from what I gather :cool:

He sent me a ninja account awhile back.
Might grab some hardware and have a play

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Happy to be the test pilot buying the Atlas scientific stuff (pH and salinity). Though may need plenty of help.. Lol, no idea where to start hooking it up? Do we need an extra breakout box?

P.s. can the float switches be wired direct to the ninja rather than via wireless?

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Sounds good Holly, happy to host but have to wait until it all arrives... Have ordered the Ninja Block last week and also just ordered the Atlas Scientific PH Kit..

Not going to get salinity until we are certain we got ph working right ;-)

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
I also bought the debugger (only $15) as they have a windows app and that just lets you plug in via usb and easily calibrate the unit, and check it works before hitting our heads on the wall trying to get it working with the ninja block..

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
I received my Watts Clever power points yesterday after ordering a week ago.
Now just hoping the rest of the goods come.

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
No I haven't yet I'm still searching for the pumps i want to use on the set up.????????
Opened the box and had a look but didn't plug them in. Might try them now just for shits and giggles. A little concerning post Neillw earlier re the functionality. Have you had the same issues Sam?
I just can't wait to set it up with the tank.