Tank Journal Archive

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Just a couple of pics, spotted the urchin out and about with his biggest display piece to date, a morph thats about 5cm across. I also took a shot of the bottom center of the tank with the leather, green morph and a few others. The green morph fully opened is around the 14cm mark.

urchinmorph.jpg

morphplus.jpg

Damjan

Jan 8, 2013
Melbourne
Hay champ,

Tank looks good, I think you will find that all new skimmers require breaking in. I have a skims and it took about 3 days for the cup to stop overflowing. Just keep it running and it will settle down over the next few days. Keep us posted during the cycle.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Hi Damjan, I'm happy with the way the tank is looking and always good to hear others like it too!

The tank will be at the 6 month mark at the end of January (time flies!) , I got shown what I was doing wrong with the skimmer by a local not long after I started up the tj and it has been running well once I got the hang of it.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx Greg, I learnt patience and even though I did rush in a couple of things for the most part I behaved myself. I've had great advice from here and rtaw as well as a few lfs otherwise I would probably have a tank I couldn't see into and decide the hobby was just crap and went back to my Africans..............of course it wouldn't have been MY fault things went wrong :rolleyes. Lol I can always blame the cat for most things.

Wallsey

Feb 1, 2013
Hey, just stumbled across your tank, looking pretty sexy in such a short time!

I'm just starting out... Made a few mistakes along the way... Just added 3 small hermits (try and battle a hairline algae problem) and 2 small clowns in my 120L sump less system... Been cycling since mid November

I hope mine ends up as nice as yours, AMAZING! I need to get some new rock with coralline algae on it, all mine bleached early out :(

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx guys! The tank is now at the 6 month mark and has come a long way.

I made a few mistakes as well Wallsey but I had great backup from the fuge and rtaw forums (quite a few of us are on both now) and nothing drastic happened. other than diatoms and the usual slime algae on the glass I really never went through the other algae stages in this tank which was a nice surprise. A couple of my fish are algae eaters and I have about 10 or so snails so nothing really manages to get started in there any more.

I had a lot of mine bleach as well but it didn't take too long to make a return, some of the rocks look like they have bright plating corals now and the urchin eats a lot of the smaller stuff but it is back again in a few days.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! Just found the wrasse cooked on top of the netting, wtf is it with wrasses that they manage to find that 1 little gap and commit suicide :cry

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
It is about 1cm at the back where it sits on the cords to the pumps, the fish has to bounce itself under the net onto the bracing and from there work its way to the top.