Tank Journal Archive

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I have a question for anyone who knows about chalice coral. My one seems to be slightly bluer then in used to, before it was a darker purple, do you think ive got it in a too high light area, Ive heard they can adapt to huge changes in lights

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
It could be the light, or it could just be your tank conditions. When you bought it the stress of the LFS could have caused the colour.

Always hard to tell with corals as many do change colour significantly depending on the light and water conditions, but if you liked the old colour better and can easily move it, you could try a new position.

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
My tank params seem pretty good,

so it must be the light, the readings I usually take each week are

Mag
Calc
Alk
phos
nitrate

I dont bother with ammonia nitrite anymore

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
My tank params seem pretty good,

so it must be the light, the readings I usually take each week are

Mag
Calc
Alk
phos
nitrate

I dont bother with ammonia nitrite anymore
I meant it could be that your tank actually has better water condition than the LFS, hence the change of colour. But yes more likely to be the lighting.

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
LED Upgrade:

Hi All,

I have finally given in, im taking the LED road over the next 3 months, its going to be a custom build retrofit. I couldn't find anyone on the internet that has done this yet so i believe its going to be a first and a good reference for other it my situation.

I probably going to use rapid LEDs as the supplier of everything I need, strip out the current heat sync and drill directly into the, because the RSM is an all in one I can remove the wiring and run my cables neatly through the cable management.

I could really use some help with the LEDs combination and the lenses.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Aussie, @Scottrotton pm me what you were thinking and your budget and we will see if we can cone up with something.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Yep its pretty daunting trying to research it, the technology is moving so fast that its hard to keep up!

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I think it's good but room for improvement, not sure about the aqua scape, I think I need to add more live rock and make it more natural looking, I'm going to see how I go with the sps then get a hand full of frags, more rock and rescape. After the led upgrade though

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
LEDS ORDERED

I have gone for a 72 LED setup. here are the details

1 x 1 x 1 x Ratio:
18 Royal Blue
7 Neutral White
12 Blue
12 Cool White
8 Violet
7 Purple
4 Red
4 Green

The great thing about the whole setup is I can change the lighting cheaply if I drill instead of bond the LEDs.
cost about $800 including delivery

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Not sure why those pictures are sideways they look normal on my IPAD. anyway ive been spending a little on some equipment. In the post is

- Marine Magic 3 way dosing pump
- Cyclopeeze
- DIY LEDs
- Ehiem Auto Feeder.
- NAqua Par38 (Sump or nano, havent decided which one yet)

My LED display have changed to

20 royal blue
14 blue
14 cool white
8 neutral white
8 violet
4 red
2 turquoise
2 cyan​
I havent decide to use even spacing or cluster them yet due to the minimal distance from water to lights, aprrox 10-16cm

I order 80 degree optics as they come with the kit and thats the largest spread RLED has, i may end up using without optics, ill see how I go without first.

I also intend to keep 2 t5 bulbs as suppliments in the middle panel as we as wire into the auto on/off switchs when the hood is in maintenance mode, I will try and use the built in mood lights too.

Will report back when some of the equipment starts to arrive.

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
So a few of my items have arrived, surprised at how fast they have all come,

N AQUA, ive ordered 2 things of them and both have come within 2 days so that's a great service, the PAR 38 bulb was a steal at $50 and I have no interference (the reason why they were selling off old stock cheap, so im very happy with that)

RAPID LED - items arrived in less than 1 week from america, amazing speed

AGE of Aquariums - Also arrive in 5 days so good service by them.

Guess my weekend has just been planned.

I would like stage one of my LED upgrade :)