Tank Journal Archive

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Might be a stupid question but have you disconnected your heater? It may be malfunctioning. Or the heater and the chiller might be competing...
Haven't disconnected but I have checked the heater light and its not on, the chiller cools my nano and cools the dt but it never gets fully cold. I will turn off the heater tonight just to be sure but I think I bought a dud

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
ok so should we try and sort out if it really is this chiller before going out and buying another one or have you dont all this troubleshooting to determine its actually faulty?

Nov 15, 2012
I would suggest if you have a spare pump and some hose just connect the chiller direct to your S400. not through the built in pluming. It might only be chilling the sump water. or the heat from the chiller fan might be heating your sump back up... or the return pipes hence not actually chilling the water.

Also to get a reading that high in your tank when we have only had some humid 28-30* days here in Sydney I don't think it is possible with out something else assisting for the tank to get that warm. However, you have got half the lights for a small city over the top of it so I suppose that might bring it up...

OK. well I am rambling and thinking out loud...

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i guess the easiest way to sort it out would be remove the chiller, place it in the kitchen with some water and see if it can bring the temp down circulating the same water, and time it...

then if that works well or as you said it is fine on your nano i guess then we look at why it is isnt working well on your current tank...

a lot of times it can be simply the heat the chiller drawa out gets blown back into the pipes or the lack of ventilation causes the hot air to heat ur tank or sump up..

so id be asking the following...

Where is the tank in the room? near a window? near anything else conducting heat?

Where does the chiller sit? inside the cab? outside? and how much ventilation room it has?

wheres the pump drawing the water from? where is it returning it to?

theres more questions we could ask but ye..

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Phos

So the latest update is...

Algae has deffinately decreased, this could be one of the following or a combination of the changes I made.

1, Removed an old bag of carbon which came with the system, didn't replace it.
2, Stopped dosing RSM nopox
3, Increased skimmer so the water it skims is now only a little cloudy, skimms about 500 ml of water a day.

Still have a little algae here and there but that may be normal, never done reef ebfore so have a hard time know whats normal and what isnt!!!

Anyway I've also order a new Phosphate test so I can get to the bottom of this, I also have order a phoshate reducer too phosbuter pro from caribsea.
I will maybe do a review on this as i found mixed reviews on the net.

Chiller,

where to start. after the huge bill, pulling it apart, i decided to put it on the nano the other day, it cools the water after a while to 24C from 28C
Which should be hard the chiller is bigger then my nano.

Decided to run it next to my tank and incrase the temp from 24 to 26C
Indeed it runs for 20 min and cuts out for a while then starts again as its supposed to.

I then stick it back in the correct compartment in the RSM and left it at 26C which does the same.

So ive figure its just not as efficent as it was but as long as it makes it through this summer ill be happy. Ill by a new shinny one before next summer.

Thing i ruled out using various methods.

Flow rate
Ambient temp
Faulty Heater
Chiler Position
Chiller Fan
Chiller Thermometer
600393_10152689356875335_832648544_n.jpg

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
ok so should we try and sort out if it really is this chiller before going out and buying another one or have you dont all this troubleshooting to determine its actually faulty?
Id pretty much done all this before you posted but this is the first time ive had chance to write it out

Chillers are so expensive though so im trying to hold out for now, not buying a second hand one again :)

Nov 15, 2012
24* seems a little low. I have mine at 26 and heater at 25. Have not seen the heater come on yet ever and my water is constantly 25.5-26.5 minimums and maximums. chiller thermometer reads always between 25.9-26.9 but one has to assume there is a level of inaccuracy in both thermometers. However, the occasional check with good old fashioned, trusty glass mercury thermometer always seems to sit at 26 so cant be too far out.

Looks like things are getting better. stick with it :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i have mine on 24 because i have borbonius anthias, but otherwise it would be set to 26...even daily it struggles to hold 24...am i right in saying you only used 24 for the test? or is that your actual temp you set to

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
i have mine on 24 because i have borbonius anthias, but otherwise it would be set to 26...even daily it struggles to hold 24...am i right in saying you only used 24 for the test? or is that your actual temp you set to
It used to be 24 and be fine (start and stop), around December time when i bought it, but now it cant get the level down that low, im happy with 26 for now.

its rated at 800 litres -10C lower then ambient temperature so it should be able to do it easily & it did not so long ago.

Either way ill buy a nice shiny one like @NiCd

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hey all havent posted in a while, tank is going pretty well ive been super busy with work but ive finally added some more stock over the lastfew weeks,

recent additions are.

Pink tipped BTA
Blue ric/morph (not sure which yet until it fully opens)
Green orange and aqua ric

1 Bangai Cardinal
2 x Lyretail Anthias

Slightly dissapointed with my Anthias choice I should of waited for a nice puple one but ended up with a redish coloured but apart from that happy with what I have.

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Agree, looks great! Love the 'bridge' going on there.

Is that turtle grass on top of the left rock?

To be honest im not sure what it is but its very green so I let it grow, I like it as much as my corals lol.

Its strange theres all sorts of stuff growning on the rock, recently he misses noticed someting that looks like a tiny brain coral starting to form next to what looks like some sponges.

I may change the scape a little and go for a more natural look soon