Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
For an LPS tank its not a bad place to be as long as you are not getting hair algae or cyno

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
how many grams of media are you running, thats very slow i wouldnt think youd be getting the amount needed for your tank tumbling :/

First batch was 5" which I changed after 4-5 weeks as I thought media may be exhausted to 3" which is all I had left.
I was turning more over before but I lowered it in my efforts to reduce, it seems slightly better at the lower flow rate but still hasnt done the trick.

im not 100% sure on this but im pretty confident in saying i dont think you should be dosing both, you are potentially double carbon dosing and you will result in greater implications once you feel you have reached the desired level...i.d slowly come off them and to a point where you're only using the zeostart3
@NiCd could help with this part?
Im happy to stop saves me time and money but zeostart was working on its owns o decide to try the hard stuff.

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
To test if the phosphate reactor is working, test your DT water and then test the water coming directly out the reactor, the reactor reading should be lower.
Just about to order a new test as my RSM test kit is a piece of shit, tried another test last night and it gave me an orange result, thats not even on the colour card :(

I have good results with salfeirt kits so far so i will try them next.

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
You can dose both at the same time its kinda like running vodka sugar and vinegar is better than running a single on of them by themselves. The difficulty will be working out the doseages and ou have to be aware that overdosing can show similar signs to underdosing so following this method is not for the inexperenced.

Personally I find the zeostart to be a well enough rounded carbon source to not have to worry out any others.

As others have pointed out it sounds like you have hit the redfield ratio issue so adding more carbon sources is not going to help. You can either run a ferrious/alumium/lanthium based product, carry out water changes, embrace the .1 club glory or dose a nitrate source.
Thanks for this, how does overdosing show similar signs of underdosing, never knew this i thought everythign would just go belly up :)

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
For an LPS tank its not a bad place to be as long as you are not getting hair algae or cyno
Thats the problem getting lots of slime algae and sand keeps turning brown so im removing a layer each water change and adding a layer, gets tedious after a few times!

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
im not sure as they just had the bottles on the counter, i did see the colour chart and it was quiet a arge piece of paper, about a5 size the colour it chaged to was bluey grey colour

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
im not sure as they just had the bottles on the counter, i did see the colour chart and it was quiet a arge piece of paper, about a5 size the colour it chaged to was bluey grey colour
thats API by the sounds of it...

Just about to order a new test as my RSM test kit is a piece of shit, tried another test last night and it gave me an orange result, thats not even on the colour card :(

I have good results with salfeirt kits so far so i will try them next.
before you order...if you're happy to spend the money you might wanna get the Elos test kits or the one @NiCd has some brand comes in a black box...they seem pretty spot on when i tested my water at his place....which reminds me i still owe him a test kit cos i broke the vials haha :P shhh

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
thats API by the sounds of it...

before you order...if you're happy to spend the money you might wanna get the Elos test kits or the one @NiCd has some brand comes in a black box...they seem pretty spot on when i tested my water at his place....which reminds me i still owe him a test kit cos i broke the vials haha :p shhh
How much we talking ;)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
the Elos arent too bad...check thereefshop.com.au

but for the other brand im not sure...im pretty sure the brand is Coral Shop

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
fwiw i have compared the Elos and Salifert Calcium and Nitrate test kits with very similar results.

I would save my $$$ and go with the Salifert, they seem the best bang for your buck ;)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Here is some information I put together on the coral-shop kits

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/coral-shop-cs-test-kit-review.4922/

Elos comes in a prettier box :D You also get glass ware (which leo likes to smash)as opposed to plastic containers for the tests and so on , but yeah comparable results to salifert on the nitrate test.

When it comes down to salifert, lamote, elos, coral shop etc you are basically trying to argue which is better mercedes, bmw, lexus ... they are all high quality, some models have some annoying features but overall you will always be in front compared to a hyundai (well maybe not in the cost front).

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
ok ill order some now,
BTW I got my power bill for the quarter, $750

My chiller has been on 24-7 as it never reaches the right temperature where it cuts off. So most of that bill is down to that, so its time for a new chiller, this habby will end up bankrupting me soon im sure :(

Even worse I got back toinght after disconnecting myu chiller to find the temp at 34C in my main tank, needless to say my BTA is not looking to good!