Tank Journal Archive

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Very nice Rob, Tanks loos great, Like the feeding ring, great idea. I recon I waste so much food down the overflow. Where did you score it?

porkosta

Jul 15, 2012
Albion Park
That feeding tube is a great idea. Have the fish worked out that where to go for the food right away or do they get to the food slowly?

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Come home tonight and the RBTA is heading into the rock cave , blue tang is going to be pissed having his home invaded.

The feeding ring is really high quality, crystal clear and for my reasons above its a great addition, fits my 10mm euro brace very well. As I use vortech on a nutrient transport mode the water goes up/down in the tube slightly which helps the food sink and then gets transported into the middle of the tank. Food takes about 1-2 min to completely dispense.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
VPreef got the ring when i got a new set of ati tubes from guppyaquarium.

If anyone wants some 9 month 54w ati tubes send me a pm. Will be finished the swap over within 5- 6 weeks. My light cycle is fairly short so they do probably have alot of life left. Had some spare cash this month.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
OK last of my purchases this week was the TwoLittleFishes extension set from guppies. Sounds strange however finished off my installation of the two reactors. I run my TLF150 reactors in series and have a tee piece between them. The first unit houses the RowaCarbon and the second RowaPhos. As the rowaphos needs lower flow the flow out of the first reactor simply divides through the tee peice and some flows out of the Tee (into the sock) the other goes through the second reactor. Now the extension set has some elbows and a clear tube. Having the clear tube 30mm below the water line means there is some back pressure on the tee thus somewhat regulates the flow so some goes through the second reactor. I run this from a nice little tunze 5W pump. the pump has some flow control on the front of it so its wound all the way down and has the TLF valve as final regulation.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_TLF150_2.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_TLF150_1.jpg

You may also notice my sock. I used to run a conventional 150~200 micron sock which I had to washout every week, what a hassle. The BEST thing I have done is to revert back to the Tunze mesh sock and simply line this with filter material. So simple to clean, just throw the filter material away and replace. I roll the filter into a roll then insert it into the sock. You can then push the filter material around so it is evenly distributed within the sock. The filter material is sometimes slightly open at the bottom of the sock just covering around the sides. Its amazing what it pulls out and I can change out the material within 1 minute...... and again did I mention I have not had to clean a sock for 6 months. :)

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I thought BTA liked the light. This guy has decided to take over the inside of the rock work and although you cannot see it in the pic is huge inside. I am not sure if its stuck ??? and I should try and move it. Any thoughts, should I just let it work it out itself ?

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_RBTA_1_1.jpg

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Rob, the bta tend to hide in the dark at first for a few days then will find their spot. I would not touch it mate, your best to leave it and let it settle down itself.
Just move your corals if they get in the way ;)

It wont be stuck :)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Rob, the bta tend to hide in the dark at first for a few days then will find their spot. I would not touch it mate, your best to leave it and let it settle down itself.
Just move your corals if they get in the way ;)

It wont be stuck :)
I'm with vpreef. Just give it a few days to settle in. It's still opening a little so doesn't seem to stressed but keep your coral from being stung if you can. If the foot has gone under and attached thats where it is likely to stay. After lights out it will probably look like it has imploded on itself. :-)

I don't target feed mine BTA's (haven't for years now) but you can target feed a whitebait or similar if you want.

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
A few things to keep in mind with mens.
- All factors to keep nems should be put in place before purchasing nems.
- 99% chance the nem will not stay where place it.
- Nem will sting corals so you may need to rearrange tank to the nems liking and not yours.
- Nems will tend to hide when introduced to aquarium.
- It is not abnormal for nem to stay hidden for several weeks if not longer.
- Nems are inverts, don't treat them like corals.
- Brommie style aquascaping (small mounds) can cause nem to release its foot to float to a better location.
- Floating/walking nems do not mix with Tunze/Vortech/Etc. Possible aquarium milkshake)
- Propagating Nems is not as simple as slicing it in half (Don't believe everything that you see on Youtube).

These are not neg point but somethings that should be kept in mind. Nems are very rewarding. If you want my 2c I would be planning what to do should it move toward your MP10's (Guards, covers, turning off, etc. )

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for the tips Salty.
I better find my foam guards for the MP10's, never used them however better to have them on standby, don't want to create that strawberry milkshake.

At the moment more concerned with the Stag as some of the tips are changing shape and turning white :( I REALLY don't want to kill it, hopefully its just settling in with the light and parameters, although something tells me its not over just yet, assume it will get worse.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
A few things to keep in mind with mens.
- All factors to keep nems should be put in place before purchasing nems.
- 99% chance the nem will not stay where place it.
- Nem will sting corals so you may need to rearrange tank to the nems liking and not yours.
- Nems will tend to hide when introduced to aquarium.
- It is not abnormal for nem to stay hidden four several weeks if not longer.
- Nems are inverts, don't treat them like corals.
- Brommie style aquascaping (small mounds) can cause nem to release its foot to float to a better location.
- Floating/walking nems do not mix with Tunze/Vortech/Etc. Possible aquarium milkshake)
- Propagating Nems is not as simple as slicing it in half (Don't believe everything that you see on Youtube).

These are not neg point but somethings that should be kept in mind. Nems are very rewarding. If you want my 2c I would be planning what to do should it move toward your MP10's (Guards, covers, turning off, etc. )
Nice post.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I've been plotting my RBTA course throughout the last week and its decided to come back to its original spot. Its got a lot better shape since its been in the tank. The tips are fuller than it was when I picked it up. I understand light has something to do with the shape of the tentacles. If it settles there may feed it this weekend. The pic does not do it justice in how long its tenticals are.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_IMG_1119.jpg