Tank Journal Archive

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Clowns have pride of place high in the tank hosting the Duncan....Maybe when the nem finally settles they will move. I actually hope they do not, as orange clowns in a red BTA is probably not a good aesthetic mix. If a clown goes floor sufing again I may swap over to black clowns they would look awesome with a red nem. And I never thought I would even suggest getting black clowns as alone I did not really like them.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Got the camera out with macca's tripod however did not make much difference to my camera abilities. Bloody thing, if anybody has a nikon D5100 can you advise what settings you use :confused: Anyhow This is a current FTS
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_FTS040912_6.jpg

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Have you tried setting a custom white balance?

Also youtube for post processing of aquarium photography. RAW is better than JPG, but the easiest part is "pick the white bit, pick a mid tone and pick a black bit" really makes a difference.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
BTW - knowing how it looks (colorwise) in real life and the growth you have since I have seen it last I need the big thumbs up ecomotion.

Nice work.....

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Macca, The clam from VPreef you got for me some time ago has really taken off. Its the one on the RHS on the shelf. I had assumed clams take a life-time to grow however you can notice quite a difference over only a 2-3 month period.

Mixed a couple of 10litre batches of 100% reefsafe ca, alk and mg. So will start dosing this. As my tank now consumes about 1 litre of ca and alk a week I needed to get a more cost effective Ca than what I was using. Fingers crossed that nothing changes substantially in my product change. I'll monitor the parameters closely over the next 2-6 weeks. When you mix the batches it amazing on how much stuff especially looking at the mg chloride/sulphate you dose into the tank over a 6 month period.

Also got some amino acids which I may throw in a couple of times a week.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Clam looking Great - and I can't believe this is the same. It looks huge now (using hardware in your tank as a baseline for size).

I also had a great idea - how about you keep Dory and offload your Purple ;)

Different Q.
Have you given any thought to a goatfish? I saw one in at the Aquarium at Keysborough (next to Eastlink) - reasonable price and really interesting to watch it scurry around, sensing the sand with it's feelers. Haven't reasrched it though in terms on final size, etc. But I will.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
If I had a tank big enough, a goatfish would be high on the list. Very cool, Reeflections had a few last time I was in there (like 6!). They need a big sand bed though, so my setup won't allow.

Rob the tank is looking great, some really nice large feature pieces you have going.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks Chimaera,
I am waiting for my three xenia's currently growing up the back of the right hand rock hoping that they will create a "curtain" as a back drop to the darker stag and red colour softy and also hide at least the bottom of the return chamber. The sand bed is also full of junk (rouge frags...) so need to clean that up. My real centre piece Rose BTA was still hiding at the time of the pic.

Rob

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Tank turns 1 year old this week, good excuse to buy it a present :)

At the moment I am considering one of the following:
1) A new sump.. Could not really be bothered in cleaning this one out, plus would like some small mods in the size and baffle.
2) A backup tunze return pump. I really feel vulnerable if this pump were to fail. Its the silence 24VDC version.
3) catching my dottyback, blenny and blue tang and get say 5 Anthia's and a powderblue
4) The new ATI powermodule T5/LED combo if they ever release the bloody thing ! Maybe this will have to wait until its 2

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
#3 would be the most satisfying and biggest visual change to the tank! #1 and #2 are 'boring' and as you said, #4 you might be waiting forever!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Hows the blenny? Causing any trouble? Ill buy him back from you if you wanna hold on to him for a few months till I get my new tank running :p

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Buddy23: The Blenny does not cause any trouble at all, in fact a model citizen. However he hides 80% of the time, doubt if I could actually get any fish out of the tank without removing 1/2 of the scape. So he isn't moving anywhere too soon.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Well at least he is behaving. Let me know if you ever get him out, Ill be happy to have him back.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Macca, Took your advice and took a shot in raw. Downloaded a freebee pic tool called IrfanView, resized and slighlty changed saturation and its real close to the correct colours now. The pic has been re sized by 70% smaller and is now only saved as 350kb although still pretty good clarity even though have lost some sharpness. Maybe not my best pic however happy in getting the colours closer.

there was a good writeup on reefcentral using irfanview

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_coralshot3_1.jpg

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
My first outbreak of white spot since the tank was setup, Dr Macca_75 was summoned for a house call... not like I have done anything different in the last week or maybe I did a couple of things come to think about it :

1. Changed supplier of Ca, Alk and mg and started to dose this new brew....
2. Purchased a star fish and the LFS water ended up in the tank, with a renegade bag floating around during acclimatisation.
3. Purchased a great piece of live rock which I could not say no to, placed this in the sump.
4. Started to dose amino acids

Purple tang then blue tang suffered although both still eating well and is not getting any worse, in fact started to clear up today. Soaking nori and pellets in a drop of kent garlic juice. I purchased the garlic as I understood blue tangs are prone to it however only ever used it a couple of times. All params are OK tested last night.

BTW taken rock out of the sump and will let it completely die off, clean it up and then put it in the tank in a few weeks time.

Just a normal week after all :eek