Tank Journal Archive

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Wow you have got it well planned!

I didn't realise you were dosing zeo stuff too. Any reason your not running the stones??

We need some photos :p

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Buddy, Fish are great (touch wood) the purple tang accepts the powderblue and they now all eat together. I suspect in ~18 months I may need to move the tangs onto a larger home however for the moment they are a great and I feel very lucky with my choice and not considering any more. The LED's have REALLY enhanced the colour of my flame angel whilst maintaining natural colours of my yellow coris wrasse and tangs.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Sarg, the zeovit has really bought out the electric blue in my two clams and they are going crazy so trying zeovit for coral colour/growth whilst using other methods to maintain Phos/Nitrates.

I run a small amount of rowaphos in a TLF150 (changed every 4-5 weeks) and my levels are 0.00~0.04 phos with typically very low nitrates, although the nitrates have crept up a little to 0.5 as i have been slack on WC. Will get these back down to my 2012 levels of close to 0.00~0.25 for nitrates as well. Rowaphos has proved very economical.

I seldom feed frozen foods and only feed small amounts of flake or pellets to my fish so overall food waste/load is quite small. I do give them a treat once a week by dropping in a mussel and some nori soaked in garlic 2 time a week.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Not really a lot done this month, no new stock, it just ticked along without drama.​
April Achievements
Purchased redsea-pro ca alk mg refill kits -thanks Ken​
Zeovit dosing schedule is underway and consistent now, monitoring results​
Adjusted 2 part dosing, increase mg and trim ca and alk down slightly.​
Changed TLF carbon reactor to a passive bag of 0.25l carbon in the sump.​
Rebuilt Raspberrypi tank monitor, hardware in place now software to go. Started better writeup in DIY section pg5
purchased wireless router for the tank, profilux /monitor support
May
MASSIVE DT CLEANUP glass, weir, sand bed. + Removed large rock and ~20% of corals, rescaped left hand side to be flatter to make way for some SPS colonies. DONE​
Hope to get 2 larger SPS colonies +some smaller fill ins,​
Swap over the MP10 to the MP40​
Finally get lights dimming via profilux​
Iphone app and wireless router installation​
Raspberrypi new collection script.​
Plus take some pictures for my TJ :)​
onwards....
Change out my prefilters on my RO/DI system (PSI) its been 2.5 years !​
Sump removal and clean​
Raspberrypi (version2) web monitoring software completed.​
Reconsider what I am going to do with my two blue clams... wow they have grown

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
My monthly update.... May was a shit month, Tank sand bed has never looked soo bad. I think the removal of rock and corals coupled with the removal of a reasonable sized clam has thrown my parameters out. Have also been away interstate so no Zeo dosing. Stag and Acro's have RTN so have a pile of SPS out the back door now :(
Ca 500+ (way off the scale) probably due to removal of large clam
Alk 7.4
Mg 1400
Phos 0.39 (exhausted phosban and maybe also removal of clam)
May Achievements
MASSIVE DT CLEANUP glass, weir, sand bed. + Removed large rock and ~20% of corals,
Finally got to update the profilux firmware so can see it on iphone app now
Sold smaller Clam
Purchased a new skimmer Tunze 9410 -impulse buy as the 9011 is great. Although have not got the 9410 as yet, purchased second hand :)

June -Planned
Vacuum sand bed and replenish with some fresh sand, is quite low (10mm) at the front.
Maybe need to get a cleanup crew. has been running fine for the past 1 year without a crew however needs one now.
Swap over the MP10 to the MP40 to create more flow
Finally get lights dimming via profilux
wireless router installation
Raspberrypi new collection script.
onwards....
Hope to get 2 larger SPS colonies +some smaller fill ins,
Change out my prefilters on my RO/DI system (PSI) its been 2.5 years !
Sump removal and clean
Raspberrypi (version2) web monitoring software completed.
Plus take some pictures for my TJ :)

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Ill make a concerted effort to get the params under control this week and a new clean up crew then top up my sand bed in a few weeks.

Just been reading up again on ozone. I do have a small 50mg unit I used to run, when i fit the new skimmer I may go ahead and reconnect at 5-10 mg/hr. I thought this low flow was only for clarity however reading again tunze state it helps SPS RTN. Even though I had minimum flow I only ever run it for 4 hours a day when nobody was home :) Paranoid, yes

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Shit Shit Shit had to remove the last stag tonight. This stag had about 8 branches all 15cm plus in length and was a centre piece. Have now officially lost all SPS & Stags to RTN over the last 14 days. I blame it all on GreenStarPolyps where I had to remove a significant amount of rock which it had taken over. From that point the tank has gone downhill. Zoas and Duncan ave retracted, some mean shit is going down in my tank.

Now to regroup, stabilize and plan the next scape. A positive is my RoseBTA has found an awesome spot and hopefully settled, I've had it for 12 monts now and I can finally appreciate it.

Water changes seem the order of the day.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Damn @Rob that is a bloody shame.
If someone could work out what & why SPS RTN's they would be a rich man supplying the cure!
14 days is not long to loose a tank full of SPS, hope you get it all back under control mate :(

When your ready give us a yell, have a couple of nice blue Acro's we can frag for you. :)

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Im starting to get the algae under control. I have now set the LEDs to 50%. I was probably blasting the hell out of the tank at 80-90% compared to my T5s.
The good news
  • New skimmer has gone in with 2-3 x the skimate although wetter.
  • Ozone back on for 4 hrs a day. Clarity only 10mg
  • 3 water changes and a vacuum has helped
  • Water clarity is back to crystal clear although a few microbubbles with the new skimmer
  • I found bunnarong LFS ! Only taken a lifetime however i could of walked out of there with 4-5 corals (which is more than i can say over the last few lfs visits).
  • RBTA is still in a great spot, after a year hiding around the back this is a highlight for me, although the rest of the family doesnt really care. They would if they knew the cost !!!!
The Bad
  • Still struggling to get the dosing correct, still way overdosing now i have lost alot of SPS uptake is hard to judge.
  • Did get a really nice new acro, could not resist, however with params (Ca/ alk still high) probably not a wise decision. RTN does not seem to be over as this is now showing signs. I did place it in the same location as another SPS which suffered RTN. Maybe RTN is infectious ?
Have lots of room for new additions and rescape to one side yet to be done

Planning for
a couple of back/white clowns and 2 bangai in the near future. Spend on the tank lately has been minimal which is good (although did do a 100%reefsafe order) :)​

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
After turning down my LED's for the last month and a couple of irregular water changes algea is under control athough not completly gone. Although I ahve changed a few things and removed stuff I have come to the conclusion I am suffering because of poor water changes. Looking back I probably do 50 litres every ~6 weeks which 5~10% per month if Im lucky. I have been looking at http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/ . Seems quite a few reefs suffer a 18-24 month upset.

So instead of simply doing manual water changes I've decided this may inspire me to setup an automatic water change. Parts are on order for this and plan to be able to do up to a regular 30% WC if required which is only about 5L per day for me. That way I can also get away with topping up with cold NSW, maybe split the 5L into 2 cycles per day in winter, although doubt it would cause too much temperature fluctuation.

I was considering a double headed diaphram pump however found a RC thread on using the Tunze osmolator for topup of NSW and another tunze osmolator pump $35.00 to be used as a drain pump in the sump. Having the same type pump drain and topup with similar length hoses should provide a reasonable balance between drain flow = fill flow. In this scheme you simply switch the output of your osmolator between two pumps during a WC, the normal connection being RO and when on a Water Change you switch its output with a simple relay to another pump located in a NSW reservior.

The tunze ATO pumps are a simple impeller so ahve to be careful with syphon and flooding my sump. I have limited capacity to hold NSW outside the house plus hieght (syphon restriction) will see me use a 77L rectangular tank as the NSW tank outside. This tank outside will be slightly lower than my sump so it can never create a syphon.

This is pretty simple (Although the proof is in the final testing I know)

Use two tunze 12VDC osmolator pumps, 1 in the NSW reservoir outside to pump into the return section of the sump and another in the skimmer section of the sump to pump to drain. By using a 12VDC relay contacts on the output of your osmolator the tunze ATO is able to either topoff with RO or NSW (depending on if the relay is on or not). If the relay is deenergised the ATO is connected to the RO pump as normal. The real change to the ATO functions

Parts
240VAC plug in timer –turn the system on/off for say 3~6 minutes at a time maybe twice per day
12VDC plug pack to power the drain pump and relay coil.
2 new Tunze pumps $35 each
1 relay $10.00
12VDC Timer so the drain pump switches off maybe 1 minute before the ATO goes back to dosing RO water.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-DC-12..._Equipment&hash=item23256603be#ht_2143wt_1073

Operation
1. The 240VAC timer energises the 12VDC plug pack for say 5 minutes once or twice a day
2 a) 12VDC energises the relay contact and the Tunze osmolator pump output wires go from RO to NSW pump
b) 12VDC also starts the sump pump and water is drained from the sump –An electric timer is also started.
3. As the sump is draining the ATO will simply start to topoff as normal. Except it now using NSW
4. A separate timer is used to turn off the sump drain say at 4 minutes. That way if the ATO is NOT balanced with the drain (flow in /= flow out) it gives the ATO time to adjust the sump level back to normal.

I would think using both the same type of pumps for in / out and same tube length the balance between whats going in ver out would probably be OK for a short period say <5 minutes. I know they are not correct and the sump level may end up being lower than normal. That’s why I want to turn off the drain and leave the ATO for a few minutes just in case it has to catch up.

5. The 240VAC timer deenergises the plug pack, 12VDC is removed from the system and the relay contacts simply switch the ATO output back to the RO pump as normal.

Optional Float switch in the NSW reservoir to detect if in fact there is available water to put back in.

FAILSAFE Scenarios

If the sump pump does not work i.e. drains nothing in its time period, its OK as the ATO although switched across to the NSW pump will just sit there and never turn on as the level has not changed.

No NSW -this is a problem and suggest I would get a float switch eventually in the NSW reservoir. However worst case is you drain say 5~10 litres and the ATO has nothing to top up with. When the time period has elapsed the ATO would switch back across to the RO pump and topoff with RO. (I think this maybe floored a little as I am not sure how long the tunze energises its outputs for with the ATO. I think it can only turn the pump on for a max of 12 minutes). Thus I could set a cycle of say 5-6 minutes per water change just in case.

Simple and independent  + uses the features of the $250.00 ATO I already own that controls sump level.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Can't wait to see this up and running Rob. My tunze will only run for 10 minutes before triggering an alarm to tell me the reservoir is empty. Also, every time the osmolator is powered on, the pump runs for 10 seconds, even if the water level is correct. My model is a few years old now.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Sounds so simple and complex at the same time. If you can get it working and have failsafes in place, I can see it being a popular method.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Buddy, its kind of good that it has a 10 second min time on, saves it turning on/off when it close to the desired level for the sensor, I never noticed this before. The 10 min max time period is something I need to take into account. I am targeting a 5 minute cycle should do 5L easily so to not run into this problem. I understand the tunze never turns back on if it has reached this 10 min mark and the power has to be cycled to the unit. Next time my ATO is running I will have to collect some RO and time how long it takes to understand the true flow rate. My current Tunze ATO system uses about 6 m of tube and has a steady stream comming from it when its on.

In my case the relay and timer can go outside next to the NSW reservior as that is where my two pumps are anyway. The nice thing about this solution is that your ATO if functioning as designed, the only difference being it has a relay (selector switch) on its output to select RO or the NSW pump.

I'll get a preliminary circuit diagram together and post tonight

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
What I was trying to say was, when I physically plug the osmolator in to the wall, the pump runs for 10 seconds. I am not sure if it actually has a minimum 10 second timer each time it tops up. It always takes longer than 10 sec to top up my sump.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
@Buddy I see what you mean, I miss read it.. As far as the Tunze osmolator goes I only need to take the wire (+ve) running to the RO pump through a relay. Nothing else changes on the osmolator its still powered from its own supply etc. I will connect the relay close the the RO pump outside so no other changes.

OK here is rev 2 of a wiring diagram trying to keep it simple as posible (+ I think Ive finally figured out how to upload a file direct to reefuge without external hosting. !)

So with the following cct you can see by ading a float switch in the NSW reservoir , unless you have available NSW nothing will happen, the relay will not energise and the tunze ATO is just doing its normal thing with RO. If by chance during the cycle we run out of NSW and the float switch opens it just de-energises the relay (stoping the drain pump and the ATO goes back to RO topoff again.) The balance should be good with the 2 pumps ie FIll ver Drain so running out of NSW would not be too much of an issue during a cycle. You may end up topping up a little with RO on that cycle. If you did not add more NSW the next day nothing bad would happen when the system tries another WC as the float switch is already detecting low level.

waterchanger2.jpg

Last edited:

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
@Buddy I see what you mean, I miss read it.. As far as the Tunze osmolator goes I only need to take the wire (+ve) running to the RO pump through a relay. Nothing else changes on the osmolator its still powered from its own supply etc. I will connect the relay close the the RO pump outside so no other changes.

OK here is rev 2 of a wiring diagram trying to keep it simple as posible (+ I think Ive finally figured out how to upload a file direct to reefuge without external hosting. !)

So with the following cct you can see by ading a float switch in the NSW reservoir , unless you have available NSW nothing will happen, the relay will not energise and the tunze ATO is just doing its normal thing with RO. If by chance during the cycle we run out of NSW and the float switch opens it just de-energises the relay (stoping the drain pump and the ATO goes back to RO topoff again.) The balance should be good with the 2 pumps ie FIll ver Drain so running out of NSW would not be too much of an issue during a cycle. You may end up topping up a little with RO on that cycle. If you did not add more NSW the next day nothing bad would happen when the system tries another WC as the float switch is already detecting low level.

View attachment 16705

this looks awesome mate...are you interested in starting a DIY thread on it? would be useful to a lot of DIY'ers