Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Seems like the new thing , keeping these red stars. Seen a couple in other forums.
Have you got an ID for it and what do you suppose it's diet is?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Can't remember the name not even sure if they had a name on it. The lfs has been selling them since before my tank was going so they are not new to the hobby. I would have liked a blue or pink but they are all to big.

It seems to be happy crawling over the live rock and eating the algae and detritus. I have tried target feeding bits of fish flesh but not much interest. Another member had success fish roe. Ill keep trying different things until something works just to supplement his normal feeding.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
@slin1977 also in the lightning mode on the illumagics how does it fire ie all whites flash at once or does it sort of random flash like in the fourth bank then the first then the second, third etc and what part of the light cycle does it kick in.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
@slin1977 also in the lightning mode on the illumagics how does it fire ie all whites flash at once or does it sort of random flash like in the fourth bank then the first then the second, third etc and what part of the light cycle does it kick in.
What do you mean? Are you talking about lightning

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Test it in Rapid Display.
Each segment change is a lightning flash.
Bit of a gimic really and not required in daily life ;)
P2+ lightning you could add it to any day of your weekly cycle if you wish.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
My LFS get the stars all the time. Guess what? They are sold as Red Stars so not much help there sorry. however I had one for ages a while back and I had a bit of success feeding soft fish flesh like whiting or snapper that is left on the carcass before you prepare and cook them. They only took it some of the time though.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Damn I was hoping it was like the ghl mitras :(

Was at Reeflections today it was just labeled as Red Sea star. It'll be fine there is enough shit the fish miss :( that he will hopefully eat :) ill find something he likes.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Sort of but these guys have black lines forming a sort of pattern, on live aquaria they seem to be talking dots not lines. Either way it will be fine I think. Ill just keep target feeding till he finds something he likes to supplement his normal foraging.

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Formia Indica buddy, I also dropped off another s. fish that I decided I no longer wanted with yellow and purple spots

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Haha you beat me to the punch! I was going to say that one though the tips looked a little darker than mine. The other star sounds cool too.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
So over the last few days I did a bit of a rescape... again of the right hand and left hand sides (partly to fit a new goody in) and I didn't like the way the nem sat as it was wedged in behind a rock and it looked uncomfortable!

This post is to see if I'm as stupid as my wife said I was for tempting fate :) I moved the rock yesterday arvo and I just got home and it has moved down where I wanted it to... will it stay!

Is Sarg an idiot?, will the nem stay put? Stay tuned to find out ;)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Haha damn straight! He does seem to be wedged it right where I wanted him to go. Fingers crossed his as happy as I am.

Recon your mp10 guard would fit :)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
It's foot was another 10cm up the wall behind another rock that I have since removed. The way the rock was it had to extend vertically and it didn't seems like it could relax as there was a pointy part if the rock pushing into its body. Now it can just flow over and it already seems happier/fuller.