Reef Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Bloody aus post :mad:
I'll see if I can find the tracking number.

Hey mate I got it today :) perfect packaging loved the lollipop haha and the naqua sticker pretty sweet touch I almost feel compelled to buy something from you to get another package haha :)

Is it fine to have it wedged under a rock or will that cause it to die?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hey mate I got it today :) perfect packaging loved the lollipop haha and the naqua sticker pretty sweet touch I almost feel compelled to buy something from you to get another package haha :)

Is it fine to have it wedged under a rock or will that cause it to die?
Awesome!

I would say ideally not wedged under a rock ... it needs light so the part wedged will just die off. Do you have any egg crate? I was thinking a little cage of eggcrate would be best, or some sort of egg crate barrier between fuge and return.

Also depends on how much clearance your baffles have - my water rolls over the baffle and that's enough to keep the chaeto in place, also helps that I have a shitload of it and it 'tangles' well so not likely to take the whole lot.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Awesome!

I would say ideally not wedged under a rock ... it needs light so the part wedged will just die off. Do you have any egg crate? I was thinking a little cage of eggcrate would be best, or some sort of egg crate barrier between fuge and return.

Also depends on how much clearance your baffles have - my water rolls over the baffle and that's enough to keep the chaeto in place, also helps that I have a shitload of it and it 'tangles' well so not likely to take the whole lot.

i seen it in pictures its such a freakishly cool texture i love it...i might just get a breeder box and throw it in there....i spread it out a little but are you meant to keep it tangled up? i ask some stupid questions but i love the fact we're doing this and hope i dont break the chain :)

ill be ordering from you real soon with the fuge light n frag rack :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I don't think it matters too much if it is spread or tangled up - the main point is to get as much of it exposed to light as possible. Whatever you do, definitely rotate it or flip it over night and then to ensure you don't get die off underneath.

And cool mate, look forward to it ;)

This is an awesome idea folks. I'm a noob, but have heard that The Reefuge had a winderful community feel to it. Just in regard to how to grow it, I stumbled upon this today that sounded interesting from http://www.reefland.com/2012/07/20/best-plants-and-algae-for-refugia-part-ii-vegetable-filters/ :

"For culturing [spaghetti algae] is to insure strong enough waterflow in an open tank (keep no rocks or other objects on the tank bottom) so that the algae colonies grow in a constantly tumbling ball! This can be achieved or enhanced by sealing a small lip of glass or acrylic 5-8 cm wide just below the water surface (the length of the aquarium side wall) where the refugiums feed water jets into the tank. Thus, the incoming water is diffused along that slightly submerged lip and is forced to shoot across the tank surface, rather than at a deeper angle underneath. This causes a circular/rolling current of water (like an eddy in a swimming pool) to flow across the top of the tank, down the far side-wall and underneath across the bottom before coming back up again. A small starter colony of Chaetomorpha or Gracilaria will then begin to grow in a symmetrical ball and enjoy not only the benefit of evenly distributed water flow, but also the cyclic exposure of all parts of the colony to the bright light as the surface as it tumbles around!"

Hope that is helpful and good luck with it all.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Any chance that we could join in? We've recently upgraded our sump lighting so this should grow fast enough to have us in the ring with those offloading it fairly soon :-)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
All are welcome to join! Just wanted to update from my end that I need to wait for some more grow out before sending any more out. Hopefully some other members who have this can start sharing too =0)

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Awesome! Thank you!
So will someone contact me when they have some to send? Or of they're in Melb I could pickup :-)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
my update isnt a joyful one...mine seems to be dying off despite my phosphate levels, maybe theres not enough flow, although i put the return for my chiller (has constant water running through even when its not working) right on it to see if that helps, but still the same.

i put the lights on 24hrs but didn't seem to help it grow, although i know when i did put the lights on a reverse cycle (tank on, sump off, vice-versa) it seemed to hate it as phosphates rose.

malau

Oct 13, 2011
my update isnt a joyful one...mine seems to be dying off despite my phosphate levels, maybe theres not enough flow, although i put the return for my chiller (has constant water running through even when its not working) right on it to see if that helps, but still the same.

i put the lights on 24hrs but didn't seem to help it grow, although i know when i did put the lights on a reverse cycle (tank on, sump off, vice-versa) it seemed to hate it as phosphates rose.
I have some if you dont mind to pick up. or where do you live?

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
ATTENTION ALL

We/I seem to have lost track of this a little.

If you have received some of this macro please add you name to THIS list and/or your status regarding ability to supply. To keep it simple put the number of serves you have ready now and a short note. See my entry for an example. Just cut and paste the list adding your name to it in your reply.

THOSE WHO HAVE RECEIVED MACRO
@ijg3956 - 0 serves available, growing more.
@chimaera - ?
@rockerpeller - 1 serve available for @TheJordans

If you are waiting for some of this macro, same deal. Cut & paste, adding your name to the list. Putting the @ before the user name notifies the user of the post.

WAITING LIST

@TheJordans

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
MORE MACROS
Now some good news? I am now culturing three more forms of algae, all of which I've never seen before. They may or may not be suitable for nutrient export but all three would make wonderful features in a display, subject to growth habits. I'll get pics when it grows bigger & I'll try to identify them.

1. Looks a lot like the red Dragon's Tongue variety but has a different structure. Appears to be slow growing and has similar light requirements to LPS corals.
2. My son call this Christmas Tree Algae as he says it feels like a xmas tree. it's sort of fuzzy/spikey but soft and looks a little like some artificial lawns.
3. This one has a deep green colour and so far (still small) it has a structure like a gorgonian fan coral.

If you have any unusual macro I would really love a little to culture & share. In addition to the chaeto and the three above, I also already have paddle caulerpa & caulerpa brachypus. I'm keen to acquire:

Caulerpa taxifolia.jpg
Caulerpa taxifolia

Caulerpa_serrulata.jpg
Caulerpa serrulata

halimeda.jpg
Halimeda sp.

halimeda_2.jpg
Halimeda sp.

Gracilaria sp..jpg
Gracilaria sp. (Dragon's Tongue)

orangealgae.jpg
Unidentified macro from QLD. @dr_schell ?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
THOSE WHO HAVE RECEIVED MACRO
@ijg3956 - 0 serves available, growing more.
@chimaera - ?
@rockerpeller - 1 serve available for @TheJordans

MagicJ - after a change in lighting it seems to have recovered a bit. However, I added one red led which seems to have resulted in the growth of cyno over the chaeto. I anticipate having some to share in the future but I want to get the cyno under control first - maybe in a couple of months.

If you are waiting for some of this macro, same deal. Cut & paste, adding your name to the list. Putting the @ before the user name notifies the user of the post.

WAITING LIST

@TheJordans

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
My status:
@chimaera having shared ~10 portions since receiving (including 3x people getting two lots due to losing the first!) my piece needs a bit of recovery time. Only realised this week that it was looking a bit on the small side, and after all I need it to benefit my tank too ;)

I also have concluded that this algae requires good light levels to do well. Noticed today when doing a water change and cleaning out my sump, that there was a LOT of chaeto on the bottom in small pieces. I believe this is because I hadn't been 'turning' it often about and so the bottom was dying off, despite only being an inch or two beneath. So my tip would be to ensure strong light, turn often to distribute light.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
My status:
@chimaera having shared ~10 portions since receiving (including 3x people getting two lots due to losing the first!) my piece needs a bit of recovery time. Only realised this week that it was looking a bit on the small side, and after all I need it to benefit my tank too ;)

I also have concluded that this algae requires good light levels to do well. Noticed today when doing a water change and cleaning out my sump, that there was a LOT of chaeto on the bottom in small pieces. I believe this is because I hadn't been 'turning' it often about and so the bottom was dying off, despite only being an inch or two beneath. So my tip would be to ensure strong light, turn often to distribute light.
I think you'e right about the light. I recently moved what I have left from Donna's tank (150w MH) to my sump (3w led) and it has not surprisingly, slowed down. Might have to save for one of your par lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.