Tank Journal Archive

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Sorry I have missed this build from the start. Tank is looking great Kavi. You will get a lot more algae growing and difforant types through the cycling process. Just leave it and it will take it's course. You don't know until you ask. I still ask and I have been doing this for a while now haha.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
what kind of lighting cycle are you using during your cycle? on my first tank i had, i had the lights on for way too long caused a bit of algae issues but obviously you will have different algae blooms during your cycle, just curious because its so soon unless of course your friend had an algae infestation on his rock :P

what lights are you going with on ur tank? just the t5s shown or?

Kavi

Oct 25, 2012
Yes one white t5 light as shown, I only have it on for a max of 3 hours a day so far, just when i want to look at the tank, rocks i mean:confused:. Some rocks my friend gave me had the purple algae on it and now its all turning greenish....

Kavi

Oct 25, 2012
Sorry I have missed this build from the start. Tank is looking great Kavi. You will get a lot more algae growing and difforant types through the cycling process. Just leave it and it will take it's course. You don't know until you ask. I still ask and I have been doing this for a while now haha.
Thanks megsez.:)

Kavi

Oct 25, 2012
Found a "hitchhiker" on the back glass laate last night on the way to the toilet, was gonna take a picture in the morning but its no where to be found. it was sticking to the glass like a dot of glue tag....Gonna buy a test kit next week and start checking the water. soo impatient to get some fish in there. :rolleyes

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Lol I have a led torch with color filters and I'm forever checking the tanks out on the way to the loo and finding new stuff, I use the trip as an excuse though to investigate. My latest find is a crab thats a whole 5mm across.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Lol I have a led torch with color filters and I'm forever checking the tanks out on the way to the loo and finding new stuff, I use the trip as an excuse though to investigate. My latest find is a crab thats a whole 5mm across.
Torch sounds interesting ... link?

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Not listed on their catalogue but I got it at Anaconda, will get a pic of it and post it up. I can't remember the details of it but its a very bright white led with red, blue, green filters that fit on the front, About the size of a chunky pen. Will post it on my tj.

Kavi

Oct 25, 2012
Hi guys :)

This is a rough sketch of the sump i ve have. Got some live rock sitting in that red circle area atm. Will have some algae and a light
ai1359.photobucket.com_albums_q788_Kavinda_Rajapakse_sump.jpg

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Looks like a nice design, I like the clothes peg at the end thought I was the only one that used them like that :)

Kavi

Oct 25, 2012
Looks like a nice design, I like the clothes peg at the end thought I was the only one that used them like that :)
I had to go with pre designed sump and do some mods to it, next tank, i will design one from scratch, btw good to know i am not the only ones using the pegs either. :)

Kavi

Oct 25, 2012
Thought i ll go to the aquarium and get my water tested(even though its not been that long), so i did. And the water was suitable for fish, I wanted to buy 40L of water to do a water change and he said its not necessary, and the water s all good. so i bought 4 fish :), 1 damsel, 2 clowns, 1 naso. from a different shops, its been a couple of days and they seem to be doing fine. I will do a water change this weekend anyway.
this is what it looks like atm.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Coming along nicely,

I do think though, you will have trouble with the naso down the track as a 4x2x2 is not big enough. They grow rather large and are big swimmers

Kavi

Oct 25, 2012
Coming along nicely,

I do think though, you will have trouble with the naso down the track as a 4x2x2 is not big enough. They grow rather large and are big swimmers
thanks. ya i read that too, my plan is to swap for a smaller one when it gets too big.(will take ages i guess)cos this one is a picky eater, as u can see the bone, the others fish eat like crazy. this one s hungry all the time but eats only a little, and doesn't eat nori or lettuce. only eats a bit of flakes.

Kavi

Oct 25, 2012
Very interesting sump design.. More pics???
This sump was designed for a FW tank, Got a lot of bio balls with it too. The section i have put in the plastic container was to be filled with bio balls and a drip tray on top of that.Cos of tight budget I made a few changes and thats my refuge now. Still some work to be done. Here r some more pics.:)

ai1359.photobucket.com_albums_q788_Kavinda_Rajapakse_2012_12_02200238.jpg

the deep sand bed is yet to come....
ai1359.photobucket.com_albums_q788_Kavinda_Rajapakse_2012_12_02200314.jpg

ai1359.photobucket.com_albums_q788_Kavinda_Rajapakse_2012_11_28081810.jpg

The filter sponge is to silent the water dripping sound and it works.
ai1359.photobucket.com_albums_q788_Kavinda_Rajapakse_2012_12_02200335.jpg