Reef Discussion

E

ezza

the adapter that connects to the laundry tap has just sucked 2.5 hours of my life. damn thing still leaks. i had to put 2 washers inside my washing machine hose to stop that from leaking... now it's the actual adapter meeting the pipe coming out of the wall leaking. so i'll have to disconnect the whole thing again tomorrow to try to sort that out. i wonder if there are similar adapters that fit better at bunnings. the whole thing has issues and just doesn't fit right. it's like it has a different length to the number of threads on the things i had first if that makes sense and i just can't get the damn thing tight enough to stop the leaks and be able to actually fit the RO tap due to the washing machine hose design not fitting well with the RO tap.. but that isn't an issue as that is the only bit that doesn't leak. i'll bunnings or try even more teflon tape. that might work. otherwise maybe a washer between those two bits might help. give it an extra barrier to bite. maybe i should even try a new washing machine hose with less nobbly bits.

i'm too tired and too angry right now to care. the water flows fabulously slowly. it will take a week to fill the tank at this rate.

i'm not angry about this... just about something else... playing with pipes and things is therapeutic. deal with it tomorrow. stuck a bucket under the leak for the moment.

all in all, receiving the RODI unit (PSI-020B-DI-GM) made my day today. I am so flipping glad it's here so i can soon have this ocean full. thanks callum. i love you and it's much appreciated. it's a great quality unit at a great price. i was astonished to see that my water going in to the meter thingy shows 77ppm. bloody scary. no wonder the tap water tastes awful and stinks.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I found that I needed a heap of tape on my thread to stop it leaking and a shifter to get it really tight.

E

ezza

ok, so maybe i'll just wrap it stupid and see how that goes. i'll fix it in the morning.

E

ezza

Ok. Mummy's Little Happy Pills have been taken and now I wish to ask about pumps. @callum@psi , can you tell me the what why and how of adding a pump to the filtration unit to get it to boost performance? I've got 30PSI currently :( it might be worth investing in speed.

callum@psi

May 21, 2012
launceston
Ok. Mummy's Little Happy Pills have been taken and now I wish to ask about pumps. @callum@psi , can you tell me the what why and how of adding a pump to the filtration unit to get it to boost performance? I've got 30PSI currently :( it might be worth investing in speed.

erin 30 PSI isnt enough to operate the system. Absolute min would be 40PSI. To put a pump on would would get your pressure up to around 80Psi which would make it produce alot more than what it would be currently if any.

callum@psi

May 21, 2012
launceston
its a matter of cutting the infeed line to the system and pushing the two tube into either side of the pump. Also you will need a power point.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
My water pressure is about 80psi and if I turn on my booster pump it goes to 120psi. Is that too high?

E

ezza

i don't have a pump.. what kind of pump is it?

i am getting water, it is slow... but it's coming.

callum@psi

May 21, 2012
launceston
you will need a booster pump that is designed for an reverse osmosis system ie aquatec 8800 pump. We do sell them but they are expensive. If you are happy with the water flow stick with it but if you want to increase the productivity of the system then you will need to put a pump on the unit. There are other cheaper brands of pump around ie guppys. we only sell an USA made pump.

E

ezza

I was probably averaging 12-15L/h. I just turn it on and walk away till I remember to check it :p

callum@psi

May 21, 2012
launceston
I was probably averaging 12-15L/h. I just turn it on and walk away till I remember to check it :p
erin,

off 50 psi you should get 15lph so its not actually too bad. Id say you would have an average of 40psi which the system will operate at.

E

ezza

I'm not really concerned at all. If I turn the water meter tap "on more" does the pressure increase?

E

ezza

you will need a booster pump that is designed for an reverse osmosis system ie aquatec 8800 pump. We do sell them but they are expensive. If you are happy with the water flow stick with it but if you want to increase the productivity of the system then you will need to put a pump on the unit. There are other cheaper brands of pump around ie guppys. we only sell an USA made pump.
rofl @ you plugging Guppys... especially when they have stolen your copy on that aquatec pump and applied it to their cheap chinese knock off...

Guppys:

Product Information

R O Booster Pump

24V Replacement unit

Adjustable max outlet pressure regardless of feed pressure.

EMI/RFI electronic noise suppression.

Suitable for membranes up to 50 GPD (200 litres)

SPECIFICATIONS:

n MOTOR: TYPE: 24 VAC, Permanent Magnet, Totally Enclosed, Non-Ventilated LEADS: 20 AWG, 6” LONG

TEMP. LIMITS: This Motor is Not Equipped with Thermal Protection. For User Safety, Optimal

Performance, and Maximum Motor Life, The Motor Surface Temperature Should Not Exceed 150°F (66°C), as Shown on the Heat Rise Graph.

n PUMP DESIGN: 3 Chamber Diaphragm Pump, Self Priming, Capable of Being Run Dry

n TYPICAL APPLICATION: Pre-Filter Water Treatment (R.O. Boost)

n MATERIALS: HOUSINGS: Nylon VALVES: EPDM DIAPHRAGM: Santoprene

Price: $55.00
PSI:

24 VAC, Permanent Magnet,
Totally Enclosed, Non-Ventilated
LEADS: 20 AWG, 6” LONG
TEMP. LIMITS: This Motor is Not Equipped with Thermal
Protection. For User Safety, Optimal
Performance, and Maximum Motor Life, The
Motor Surface Temperature Should Not Exceed
150°F (66°C)

Gordon

Jan 29, 2013
Casula
Hi @callum@psi
I really need to get myself an rodi system sinner rather than later and just trying to work out what I need to come up with. I'm looking at a 4 stage system for my reef tank but have terrible water pressure. Would the permeate pump be an option. I'm looking for a good cost effective solution for this. I like the fact you guys are supporting the refuge so thought I'd see what you guys can suggest.

Thanks

callum@psi

May 21, 2012
launceston
Hi @callum@psi
I really need to get myself an rodi system sinner rather than later and just trying to work out what I need to come up with. I'm looking at a 4 stage system for my reef tank but have terrible water pressure. Would the permeate pump be an option. I'm looking for a good cost effective solution for this. I like the fact you guys are supporting the refuge so thought I'd see what you guys can suggest.

Thanks

If the pressure is that bad then you would need a booster pump. We only sell the Aquatec american pumps which are not a cheap option, adds approx $260 to a laundry type system.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Think it is about time I invested in one of these.

How often do you need to change the filters/resin etc? I'll only need 20L of water a week max. Just wondering if I should order extra resin, filters or anything else at the same time as the unit?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
You won't need to order any filters extra for a while.

I make approx. 100 litres a week (give or take) and only change filters every couple of years. I seem to be the exception but we have really good water quality (< 40ppm TDS in). The freight for the spares isn't that great anyway.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
You won't need to order any filters extra for a while.

I make approx. 100 litres a week (give or take) and only change filters every couple of years. I seem to be the exception but we have really good water quality (< 40ppm TDS in). The freight for the spares isn't that great anyway.
Sweet, thanks. As a complete noob on this, I had no idea if you changed filters every couple of months, years or longer!