Reef Discussion

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I've been toying with a sensor holding design similar to the one on fishstreet.
I'll use an acrylic rod you get from spotlight (the one for venetian blinds), with 3 brackets (1 per sensor, 1 for the side of the tank). Hopefully I can get a pic of it when it's finished.
Basically, the sensor brackets slide on the acrylic rod to the desired height and you use nylon bolts to fix it in position.

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Got mine today too! Guess the missed delivery notification I got was for something else.

I did mention that I need step by step instructions on how to set it up though, right? :p
Sorry, this weekend has been hectic and I've just got my first chance to sit down.

This explanation doesn't really need pics but I can post some if anyone is unsure.

Start with the power side. Most low voltage pumps will have a power supply that has a socket while the plug will be in a powe cable connected to the pump. If this is the case, plug the pump into the location maked power OUT.
I'm going to assume people are using the ebay plugs I linked to (though any plug will be fundamentally the same, though you may need to solder connections). Get a length of 2 core cable (an old power supply would be ideal, or if you have none lying round the house, jaycar sell some for about $1/m or less). Put a plug on each end of the cable. The cable colours will vary depending what you use but the important thing here is to make sure you connect + to + and - to -. Plug one end into the power supply and the other end into the socket marked power IN.

With the float switches, there are 2 the same and 1 that is different. The first 2 are the primary and secondary, the 3rd is the reservoir switch. If you don;t need longer cables on the float switches, simply attach a plug to the 2 wires, + and - don't matter here. Plug each switch into the correct socket. If you do need to extend the cables (which will be most people), simply get some 2 core wire (I'm using the stuff from Jaycar I mentioned above) and solder the wires together. Make sure you use some heat shrink on each connection and I'd recommend using a long length of heat shrink to cover the whole cable (or most of it) to make it a bit more water resistant (note this will not waterproof the connection and it will not be submersible, just splash resistant).

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I didn't stagger my primary and secondary, I gathered that they were side by side as added insurance of either one of them getting stuck. Would it be better if they were staggered?

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Ok, I'm going to place the order for the brackets. I'll be ordering 6 units. 2 for Synodontis, 1 each for Sarg and Chimaera. If anyone wants to jump on board, please let me know now.

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Sorry mate. That makes up the 6 units though with mine being #6. Are you close enough to the others for me to combine shipping? It will just make it safer to ship them all together to reduce chance of breakage.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Dont worry about mine... I am in the middle of designing a new RODI unit with re-circulation line through the roof of my house! I think the 2 of these ATO units will come in very handy...

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
It is going to be a basic version of a commercial lab quality system... Thankfully I have a guru at work that I can rely on for the info!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Has anyone else got any finished setup pics? I'm interested how all the others turned out.
The only changes I had to make was to have the return hose empty into the next compartment. It originally went in next to the skimmer but the fresh water killed the bubbles in the skimmer.
Otherwise it's all working perfectly, topped up my reservoir today for the first time in a week. I think the best thing is it's topping up so gradually rather than having to throw in a litre when I notice the level is down.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I'm waiting on parts for a few of us VIC crew, the screws are for the bracket which is a few weeks away too.

ai.imgur.com_nfdke.png

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
How are we going with this guys? Do I owe anyone anything yet? LOL, I have lost track of time sorry. :confused: I'm old dont pick on me damn it!
Yeah, you owe me $3,274.83 ... ;)

Nah, I have only taken delivery of a couple of items, the two-part wire and the nylon bolts. The other bits are, I assume, winging their way across from Hong Kong or some other foreign land.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
I know I'm good at getting rid of cash, but I didn't think I was that good! :)

If you have a total, I will catch up with you on Sunday if your heading over to Sarg 's lol.