Reef Discussion

I have just been eagerly reading this thread.
So how much did these kits end up costing everyone?
The box, the card, the plugs, the floats and then also the holders.
What a great idea.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Good question! Let's see ...

The initial 'build' was $49:
  • PCB
  • Sockets (5x)
  • 2x NC float switches
  • 1x NO float switch
  • Jiffy box
  • regular post
Labels $2.50
Pump $13 (Bunnings)
(the following including shipping)
Power adapter $2.50
3m 2core wire $5
1m wire heat wrap $2.50
4x plugs $4

So total for the ATO I think runs $78.50

Then we have:
Custom made acrylic bracket and shared postage $18
Acrylic screws $4

So total including ATO and bracket a shade over $100.

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
For those that have got their ATO up and running, how are you finding it? Does it work as expected?

I still haven't got mine running yet (should do so this weekend though as I just have to make 1 more bracket for the switch in the reservoir).

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Mine too ... and I have all of the extras for everyone that I need to distribute! Except that wire wrap which never arrived ... damn aus post.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I had mine running the day after I got the parts and it's been running great, no problems at all.
I was able to mount mine with bits and pieces I had laying around, so it only cost me what I paid Firechild for.
I top up my reservoir every week or so and that's it.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I won't need any heatshrink, got heaps at home.
If you do then could I grab some too? And some for Sarg? That way I can just be done with sourcing parts for this and get it built! If we meet up this Sunday could you bring some and I'll knock it off your bill for the other parts? ;)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
3mm.

Looks like I do need to set this up - the wife texts me today to say "your tank is really, really noisy" ... figure out the return section has run dry!!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Alright I am almost ready to go. Just need to work out whether I need to extend the float switch wires, hoping not to avoid having to get a soldering iron and heat wrap!

alh4.googleusercontent.com__NbnVl8XEMFw_ULGipd_AzPI_AAAAAAAAFo2bbeba9a456f7da885c4c87459d78bc4.jpg

So to confirm my floatswitch setup.

2x NO switches in the bracket, fitted to the sump return area. Normal water level should be at the top of the bottom switch, so when the water falls the switch opens and starts the pump. Top NO switch is a backup in case the bottom one sticks, so if the water level covers the top switch it will close and stop the pump.

1x NC switch in the reservoir, if the water falls below this switch then the circuit is broken and pump can't start. Any tips on how to hold this switch, given the bracket is for the sump?

Next challenge is the acrylic bracket ... firechild tips on bending this? Need to heat it first, if so how - just naked flame?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I just had a cat's arse trophy!!!!
My ATO just jammed and flooded my tank with fresh water.
I was watching the cricket and decided to go and do something on the puter in my office (where the tank is). I was only in there less than 5 min when the sound of water splashing on the carpet caught my attention.
After a few minutes of panic and switching off power points, I was replacing tank water with salt water on hand.
I can believe I was lucky enough to catch it when I did.
Bad thing was I had the last of my salt already mixed so I wasn't able to make up a slightly stronger batch.
I'll keep doing a bit of water swapping this evening to bring it back, it's not too far out of balance luckily.
Bugga :confused:

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Don't why they both failed. I was too busy to notice what position they were in when I stopped everything.
I just noticed the water blew one of my timers - nothing expensive luckily.
Luckily the drawer under the tank didn't get wet, the water flow went around it and onto the floor, phew!!
I might end up designing a switchboard/cabinet style setup beside the tank on the wall that will be more convenient in emergencies.
Fish and coral all look fine, I'll get the water back to what it should be tomorrow when I get some more salt.

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Alright I am almost ready to go. Just need to work out whether I need to extend the float switch wires, hoping not to avoid having to get a soldering iron and heat wrap!

alh4.googleusercontent.com__NbnVl8XEMFw_ULGipd_AzPI_AAAAAAAAFo2bbeba9a456f7da885c4c87459d78bc4.jpg

So to confirm my floatswitch setup.

2x NO switches in the bracket, fitted to the sump return area. Normal water level should be at the top of the bottom switch, so when the water falls the switch opens and starts the pump. Top NO switch is a backup in case the bottom one sticks, so if the water level covers the top switch it will close and stop the pump.

1x NC switch in the reservoir, if the water falls below this switch then the circuit is broken and pump can't start. Any tips on how to hold this switch, given the bracket is for the sump?

Next challenge is the acrylic bracket ... firechild tips on bending this? Need to heat it first, if so how - just naked flame?
Yeah mate, that all sounds right. As far as bending, I used a hot air gun with a wide mouth attachment which did the job pretty nicely. Don't see why a flame shouldn't work, just try to get an even amounht of heat across the piece you want to bend. I used a couple of pieces of wood to hold it in place while it cooled because you don't want to put your fingers on it for too long.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
So I FINALLY got around to wiring this up yesterday ... and ... nothing. No power going through, no matter what floatswitch state I tried. Power was going into the board, but not through to the pump. Not sure whether it is the board, the floatswitches or something else ...

Not sure what to do now ... tempted to just buy an off the shelf ATO. Should have known that a DIY one, even with 70% of the prework done, would be beyond my abysmal skills.

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
It appears there is an issue with SOME of the sockets. Dave mentioned this to me early on (and with his earlier posts you can see he fixed his) but at the time it appeared that the others were working fine. What has happened is I have ordered 2 lots of 50 sockets. There are 3 pins on each socket and 2 connections (+ and -). On most sockets like this, the rear pin corresponds to the centre pin in the socket, the side pin connects to the outside of the socket and the middle pin is a blank. It seems that in one lot, the middle pin and the side pin are reversed. This can be easily rectified by soldering a short wire across the 2 pins in question. Unfortunately there seems to be no way of knowing which are the good ones and which are not as they look identical.

My apologies, I guess is one of the dangers of buying components from China.