Tank Journal Archive

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
some sad news today. came home from work to find my scooter blenny dead :( dont know what killed it. params are fine and he was feeding well. could it have been a possibilty that he got stung by an aiptasia?

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Sorry to hear about the loss, I don't think it would have been aptaisia though as it would be the first I have heard of.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
might of been because he had to start competing with the peppermint shrimp for food? i put that peppermint shrimp in there to eat the aiptasia.

he had one job -.- haha.
do you reckon a lawnmower blenny would go okay in my tank or will he begin to starve after a while like my poor scooter too?

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
My lawnmower happily munches on anything I put in the tank which is just as well as I have very little for him to eat in there otherwise. He does occasionally scrape some of the glass buildup but it is more of a snack as the tank is well fed. It should do fine in yours both my lawnmower and bicolor are both pigs :-)

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tank is pretty much ready, just got to mod the resun powerhead and then wait for the cash to get them. Got a small red starfish the other week and a couple of cheap corals, on the lookout now for a small yellow polyped leather and I might try some zoas again. pretty sure it was crabs that polished off all mine when I had them last year.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
darn crabs. i bought a couple of acro corals from a bargain bin and put them in my tank. they were on the verge of death when i bought them as they were only $5 each. most of it has already bleached but im praying the birdsnest coral pulls through. probably should have placed it on the bottom of the tank and moved it up gradually to aclimate it to the light. i totally forgot about the lighting conditions in the tank and supposedly thats what makes them bleach so quick :( need to get test kits for calcium and alkalinity and see if they're getting enough in the tank

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I just lost 1 of my birdsnests that was thriving but on the whole they are fairly hardy and should do well in yours.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
fingers crossed. probably should of looked for a healthier specimen. this was already brown and dull looking haha. starting off with frags that arent too expensive first just to see how they go. looking at your sps frags for inspiration ;) haha

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Nothing wrong with the cheapies from the save me if you can bins as long as they don't do any harm to your system (very doubtful !) if they die, I'm thinking more of softies or lps here though. My green chalice was a $5 special with 3 mouths total and now it is completely covered.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
my chalice, hammer and torch coral are all doing very well. i also got a zoa frag which was attached to a monti frag of some sort and that's doing well too. maybe they were too far gone. oh wells lets just wait and see what happens. ill be buying some sps frags from @chimaera soon. hopefully they dont bleach and die on me too :P

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
just a bit of an update on the tank. a few days ago my clown decided to go carpet surfing (or floorboard surfing in this case) sucks but oh well, the risks you take with a hoodless tank. there seems to be no improvement on the bargain bin sps corals i got. the birds nest hasnt gone completely white after two weeks so it seems to be surviving. fingers crossed it pulls through. i changed the scape around to make the tank look more roomier as the rock work made it look slightly crowded. i got rid of some corals and got some new ones to replace them. my hammer garden is coming along nicely. still searching for a gold torch that always seems to elude me -.-

re-assessing what stock i want in the tank. thinking of getting a pair of clowns this time in the hope that they host my hammers. what are your guys thoughts on having 5 fish in a 2 ft system? was only ever planning on getting 4 but does one more make that much difference? (compatibility, size and territorial issues have already been taken into account)

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
i have a yellow coral goby, a yellow tail damsel and a flame angel (kind of an impulse buy after the occy died. but it was on special, was small, active and healthy and ate everything you put in the tank) dont want any gobies as most need some sort of micro fauna in the tank to thrive, and given my tank size, i dont think i can supprt an ecosystem full of micro fauna. was planning on getting an orchid dotty back but there would be a lack of hiding spots for it. cant have any type of wrasse due to them being prolific jumpers and same applies for fire fish. so that leaves me with either a single banggai cardinal or a pair of occys.

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Hi Daniel,
Regarding your fish quantity and recommendations, I have had a look through your tj. Well done btw. Giving the size of the tank and what you have in the tank at the moment, IMO i believe you are at full capacity. Anyone can put more fish in a tank but is it the right thing to do is what you should ask yourself.

If you do go down the path of putting more fish in there it would mean more maintenance eg water changes and regular testing. But even this cannot fix the stress on of a fish in a crowded tank.

Also adding anymore fish i would do a thorough check of all your water perimeters and making sure your tank can support new additions.
What do you test for currently and what are your results?
Also how often do you perform water changes?

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
thanks for the feedback and positive comments @OSCAR85 :)

i check for nitrates, alk and salinity in my tank. am getting cal, mg and phos test kits next week (more so for sps corals that i want to get in the future) my nitrates read 0 and same with ammonia and nitrite (got thos tested yesterday at LFS) and i perform weekly water changes of 15% and top up evaporated water every second day to keep salinity to 1.025. currently investing in an tunze osmolator

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
thanks for the feedback and positive comments @OSCAR85 :)

i check for nitrates, alk and salinity in my tank. am getting cal, mg and phos test kits next week (more so for sps corals that i want to get in the future) my nitrates read 0 and same with ammonia and nitrite (got thos tested yesterday at LFS) and i perform weekly water changes of 15% and top up evaporated water every second day to keep salinity to 1.025. currently investing in an tunze osmolator
you have some great equipment. Maybe put that $ towards a nice big tank. So you can have more fishies