Tank Journal Archive

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Nice DIY work mate, your tank will be a slick rig.
Only observation is to halt your fish stocking for a month or two to let your bio load catchup and to prevent any new tank syndrome outbreak of disease. Maybe even halt stocking coral until you have finished stocking with fish.
But all in all, really jealous of the space you have to play with- good luck
Already in hold mode mode till after xmas at the moment. LFS upgrading his tanks so grabbed a few whilst the opp was there, but yes aware of the crash probability.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Already in hold mode mode till after xmas at the moment. LFS upgrading his tanks so grabbed a few whilst the opp was there, but yes aware of the crash probability.
Personally don't think you'll have any problems regarding fish health.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
not doubting the job he has done, was just asking how the process went and if he came across any issues..
Well basically he did his own modified hybrid Zeovit 14 day cycle, ( for lack of better description) pretty sure you can add fish and coral soon after having placed aragalive in your tank as this speeds up the maturation process.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
David, looks great. Question:
Did you transfer the rock/fish from an existing tank? If so how did you go about it and how did the process go? I ask as that's what I need to do with my new set up. Really appreciate any help mate
Ok, old tank moved out of the way ( removed 2/3rd of the water rock etc so i could slide it across the room. Returned all inc. the fish and returned to normal mode.

Day One: New tank in, stand and sump first night
Day Two:Tank added onto stand
Day Three: New clean base rock in inc. the 'kebab'
Day Four: Live substrate arrived so added plus NSW. Mud added to sump and filled with water and heated to 27 deg.
Day Five/six: Filled tank entirely with NSW ( 5 trips x 80 litres each) and turned on to run/ settle, check for leaks etc for three days.

Day Nine: added the old live rock from the old tank and aquascaped..till happy, and turkey basted any substrate that blew up onto the rock. Fish then caught and transferred across to the new tank.

Now pertinent tips.

NSW is used all the time to maintain salinity, calcium, buffers etc. 50kg of old live rock out weighed the new clean un-seeded base rock, substrate was Agri-live, and Miracle mud used.
No skimmer, no bio balls, no aeration except return nozzle and four wave makers for circulation.
Reading since day one = zero...which is put down to the mud. HGA was put in on an old piece of rock ( to test it( yep bold move) and it died and vanished within a week)
Water clarity is crystal clear, diatom appeared week four.
Even my LFS has watched with a lot of interest in how, why and what I have done with this tank setup.

Any questions, feel free to inbox me or i can give you my mobile

Cheers

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Well basically he did his own modified hybrid Zeovit 14 day cycle, ( for lack of better description) pretty sure you can add fish and coral soon after having placed aragalive in your tank as this speeds up the maturation process.
BINGO. Lol. awww.smileyvault.com_albums_signs_smiley_vault_signs_008.gif

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Anemone did the disappearing act for two days, but has returned.
Sadly the Koran has disappeared, which i suspect the crab is responsible... So the crab goes this week.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Moonlight finally arrived today...

Beware that Guppys Aquariums, charge $45 for courier service via Startrack Express Couriers, only to have the item arrive 9 days later via Aust Post, which would have cost no more than $12 max.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Thought about it.... But at the end of the day.... He was the only place with the led moonlight and lunar cycle controller... And well i don't need to buy again from him....at the moment.